Chapter 6: In the Mood for Love

Kristina and I are currently at Starbucks catching up over some coffee. Since it's been really busy at work it's been a hot minute since I've gone out with my friends and I've been missing their presence. There's so much I need to tell Kristina and the two of us decided to meet and relax before I had to work at the comic store. It worked out since Kristina was meeting a friend to go shopping for an outfit to wear to a New Year's party we're going to anyway. I think she'll be surprised when I tell her about Derek.

The two of us are at a small window table for two in the corner. We both scroll through our phones on the Starbucks app, debating what to order for ourselves. "So how's work been? How are those newbies?" she asks me.

"It's been so busy because of the holidays, but it's been nice. And the newbies...they've been good. They picked up on everything a lot faster than I thought they would. And both of them are really nice," I tell her.

"What are their names again? Are they in college?" she inquires as she continues scrolling through the app. "Maybe I'll get the Nitro Cold Brew."

"Megan and Derek," I answer. "They're cousins. Both of them are 20 going on 21. Megan goes upstate and Derek is local...he commutes," I say as I continue to think about what I want. I'll probably just get a Strawberry Acai again. "They're cool. We all get along.

"Well I'm glad you get along with them," she says. "I know you were worried at first."

I shrug my shoulders. "Yeah, you know how the shop is. It started off kind of weird though because Megan is really talkative and super chill. Like we have a lot in common so we laugh a lot and have a good time. Derek on the other hand was more reserved and doesn't really talk a lot. He barely speaks at all and whenever he does he doesn't say much. Megan insists he can be really annoying, in like a loving way obviously, but he seems so dry."

"Some people are just quiet like that though," Kristina reasons.

"I know Kristina, but the thing is...he's kind of like that with everyone but me." Kristina puts in her order then looks up at me for clarification. "I mean he really didn't seem quiet and reserved the first time I saw him. Remember? I told you I helped him find that comic book a while back."

Kristina's eyes go wide, remembering the story as she nods. "Yes, the cute guy! Of course, I remember him. Dude, what are the odds he ended up working there with you?"

"I know it's just really interesting because that day he came to the comic store, he was really friendly and then when he started working at the shop he was so quiet. He really only stayed on his phone and never really initiated any conversation. He still doesn't talk a lot to the rest of the staff, but with me, he talks to me all the time. We have a Snap streak too. It all started when we bonded over art. I can't help but notice that he smiles and looks at me a lot...he just looks at me in this certain type of way."

Kristina smirks and leans forward. "Hmmm...so maybe it's just you. Ooh, by the sound of it he might be interested in you," Kristina teases.

I laugh and rub my forehead while looking away. "Girl bye. I doubt that," I respond. "He just met me this month. We're just getting to know each other. But--." Suddenly my phone buzzes and I'm met with a text notification:

Derek: Are you going to the paint night tomorrow?

"Oh speak of the devil. He just texted me," I tell Kristina as I type a response. "Sorry, one sec."

Every year we have an annual paint night at the comic store for the staff. My uncle likes to think of it as a bonding activity to do at the end of the year with everyone. One of the store's regulars is an art instructor and helps us paint something nice. They even provide all the supplies and food. It's always really fun, especially for me since I like art.

Jacob: Of course I'm going. I wouldn't miss it. You better be there. It'll be your first one!

Derek: I'll definitely be there. :)

Kristina grabs my phone out of my hand and reads his reply. "Hmm I don't know but I sense some chemistry. I think he likes you!"

I shake my head and laugh. "I'm pretty sure he's straight. And I'm pretty sure he's just trying to make a new friend. Katie always says the two of us have tons of chemistry, but I'm not sure," I say, taking my phone back.

Kristina seemingly ignores me as she scrolls through her phone. I look over to the counter to see if the baristas have finished making our drinks yet. "Oh wow, he's pretty cute!"

"And how would you know?" I ask her.

"I found his Instagram from your profile." She taps on one of his photos. "He has really nice eyes. His dog is cute too," she says as she scrolls through his profile. I look away, feeling kind of flustered. "Be honest, do you like him?"

I roll my eyes playfully and sigh. Just the question I was waiting for. "I mean I'm not saying I don't like him," I say, trying to make it sound like less of a big deal. Kristina glances at me with a look of annoyance. She always gets me when she does that. "Okay, this is what I was about to tell you. I definitely am crushing on him but I'm really scared, to be honest."

Kristina awws while making a cringefully cute expression. "Aww why Jacob? You shouldn't be afraid of your feelings for someone."

I sigh and slouch in my seat. "It's just...you know...I'm trying to tread very lightly after the whole Max ordeal. I really don't think I'm ready for love yet. I just met Derek not even a month ago and I'm already crushing on him? Am I fully over Max? Am I really into Derek or am I just confusing my feelings? Has it been long enough? If we ended up together I don't want him to look like a rebound."

Kristina leans forward in her seat looking straight at me. "Look, all of that is understandable. Max was your first boyfriend. There was a lot of emotion in that relationship. You just broke up with him not even a month ago. It's okay, you'll figure it all out. Maybe this will help you because I really need you to try and move on from the Max situation okay?"

I smile and nod as Kristina gets up to get our drinks. I sigh. Why am I so afraid of crushing on Derek? It's nothing serious but it feels like something major.

She comes back with our drinks, setting them down in front of us. "Oh speaking of which. So remember how I told you Max is interning at the same place as me?" Kristina suddenly says. I nod in response. Kristina's interning during the break and she texted me after starting that Max was at the same place. I remember him mentioning to me before we broke up that he would be interning over break, but I completely forgot it was at the same place Kristina told me she would be interning.

Kristina has stayed cordial with Max. I know she's happy there's a familiar face in the office. She and Max always got along well. It makes me kind of sad how things worked out the way they did, but I really don't regret anything. "Well, they asked him to stay and continue interning...so he's taking off this upcoming semester," Kristina reveals slowly.

My eyes go slightly wide as I process what she said. Max was supposed to graduate this semester but looks like he won't be at school now. I nod slowly. "Good for him. I'm sure he's really happy about this opportunity."

"Exactly, and you need to be happy about this opportunity. Happy that you can like someone else. It's proof that you can move on and stop dreading over Max. And you liking Derek doesn't mean you have to pursue him. It's just a crush."

I nod while looking down. Kristina's right. I can't keep throwing myself a pity party because of what happened with Max. Maybe these feelings for Derek can help me feel happy about love again. Maybe it'll help me completely close that chapter with Max and move on. All I know is I have these feelings for Derek and they make me feel happy, so I'm ready to keep spending time with him. I finally think I know why this crush on Derek feels so big for me. It's because of Derek that I think I am in the mood for love again and ready to move on.