Part 6

Of course, Ed and Liz had freaked when they saw Nicks's face when she came home after the "snowball incident" as Nick was beginning to label it. She wasn't expecting to be so fussed over by them over a silly little snowball.... it had felt kind of nice?

No matter how many times the Thompson parents hugged her, praised her, or just even complemented her, she always felt shocked... like it was never anything she expected. She loved every second of their attention and love, don't get her wrong, but it was just.... she didn't know how to describe it.

Nick supposed that after living with the Harbaughs for a whole year, and away from the man that raised her would make a kid a bit attention/love-starved. But hey, she was soaking it up.

And boy was she soaking it up over the bruise on her face.

"This is unacceptable! Nick... who did this to you! I swear I will crown myself head of PTA and take down the principal myself and I will tear apart anyone who touches any of my kids and I will-" Liz was in a rage at the moment while Ed sat quietly, watching his wife pace around the kitchen ringing a dish towel. Nick was worried that Liz might go and strangle a real person once she was done with the dishtowel.

Sweet Ed watched his wife rant and gave some commentary to go a more peaceful route as the two freaked and fussed themselves over Nick. Nick sat awkwardly on a kitchen stool, appreciative of the love but 100% not wanting to tell them what had happened.

"Guys... really I'm fine. I-I... nothing happened! It was a stupid mistake that's all. Honestly.... I think I need to go do homework now. So I'll just go?" Nick began to slide off the stool when Liz pierced her with a look.

"So that's a no?" Nick muttered, sliding back onto the stool.

"Nick. I hope you know that we love and care for you. We've welcomed you back home, and I'm so glad we did because I couldn't imagine it without you. But please, no more lies. I know we can trust you to tell us the truth, Nick. I really want to know what's going on here. Did someone hurt you?"

Nick swallowed. She really didn't want to lie to them again. Not again. She was beginning to feel safe at home again. She began to feel like it would last like it would all be okay. So no, she couldn't lie. She couldn't let it shatter into a million little pieces over something so dumb.

But she couldn't just tell the truth either. Nick could handle this... she was tough. She was strong. She had been on her own for a long time. She had been in the real world and had carried herself the whole way. She didn't need help for something so small, so insignificant compared to everything else. But most importantly, she couldn't go and just tattle on some dumb boys... and one of the boys had even apologized... over a dumb snowball.

What to do? What to do?

Nick swallowed again. "I was walking to school. Some boys threw a snowball and it hit my face. I confronted them about it, and uh... one of them came up to me and apologized after. So it's fine, really."

Liz raised an eyebrow as if to say "And? That can't be it, you and I both know there's more to that story..."

But she didn't say anything. She just let out a slow breath and said, "Alright. If you say it was just an accident, it was no big deal then."

Ed jumped up, and an optimist as ever exclaimed, "Yay! No hard feelings. Now, I'm going to go get work on a paper sculpture if you need me." With that, he gave Liz a kiss, and Nick a one-armed hug, and then left the kitchen.

Nick watched the door swing closed after him.

"Um... aright. I'm gonna go work on some homework?" Nick said, sliding off the stool for a second time. She hoped this time she'd make it off.

No Good Nick (Part 3)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें