chapter 2: look before you sleep

A/N: sorry it took 2 whole weeks to get this chapter out 😭😭 i swear i'm gonna try and start updating more frequently. anyways this chapter ended up being wayyy longer than i intended, but i hope you enjoy! things are starting to pick up finally 🙈

"Rarity? Are you okay?"

Coco Pommel's soft (and clearly concerned) voice snaps Rarity back into reality, and she realizes that she's spaced out for probably the second time since meeting up with her friend.

"I'm alright- just.. clearly not myself today, I'm sorry," Rarity apologizes, a pang of guilt hitting her at the fact that she was letting her previous encounter with a certain person get in the way of having a good time with Coco. She hadn't seen her friend in forever, and this is how she was treating her? She hates that it's affecting her so much, and the reality of her situation unfortunately hit after her little run in with Applejack.

"No need to apologize, Rarity. I understand," Coco Pommel smiles warmly, and the purple haired woman isn't sure if that makes her feel better, or just more guilty, "You must be exhausted from your trip- and I can't even imagine how nervous you must be!"

"Nervous! Yes, of course," Rarity chuckles, taking a sip of her tea and hoping that her friend wholeheartedly believed her. It wasn't a total lie because she actually was a little nervous- but it wasn't what was truly bothering her; the last conversation she ever had with Applejack continuously pestered her from the back of her mind.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not tonight."

"Tomorrow, then?"

"Okay. Tomorrow morning."

"Alright."

Her and Applejack never got to have that conversation the next morning.

And she's been in the dark for seven years.

"Would you excuse me? I'm going to use the ladies room," Rarity says with a polite and slightly apologetic smile, forcing her previous thoughts out of her mind in a split second.

"Of course, Rarity," Coco Pommel smiles back at her, not seeming to catch on that something was wrong other than her friend's nerves. "Our food won't be here for a little while anyways."

How on earth did she deserve such an understanding friend?

Thankfully the women's restroom was completely empty when she walks in there, immediately approaching the sinks and staring at herself in the mirror. She needed to gather herself, and quickly, especially since she'd been waiting for this week for practically her whole entire life.

Rarity turns around and leans against the edge of the sink, pulling out her phone and opening up her list of contacts. She needed to talk to someone- someone that would understand.

Twilight and Sunset wouldn't understand since Twilight had transferred to their high school during her senior year (without applejack), and back then Sunset was.. a (misunderstood) bitch at the time.

She could call Fluttershy. The other woman was always a pleasure to talk to, especially when one needed reassurance, but reassurance wasn't really what she needed right now; Pinkie could most definitely cheer her up, but still- she needed something else in that moment.