Chapter Four

"What?!" Sky objected, "I do not like this plan!"

"What's it to you?" Toon queried, "It's not like you're in it."

"Sky, just calm down." Time muttered, leaning on the taller boy's shoulder.

"Time and Sky, sittin' in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-" Toon sang.

"Toon, if you sing that song I will change the plan so that you are the bait." I growled. Celestia loved singing that song when I was with other guys, and it was now permanently embedded under my skin.

"Woah Howl! Why are you suddenly so ticked off?" Twilight exclaimed.

"That song is obnoxious." I replied.

"BOYS." Zelda screeched, "On task!"

"Yes princess..." we all chorused in unison.

"And don't call me princess!" she objected.

   Time rubbed the back of Sky's neck and walked out into the field. Hours flew by, and eventually only Sky, Twilight and I were still here. Of course, Twilight convinced Sky to go so the Shadowed Wolf wasn't distracted. The look he gave me after Sky left subtly implied other reasons.

   I started to smell the signature sickly scent of the Shadowed Wolf, mixed with the unmistakable odor of panic Time was giving off. The noise of a twig cracking alerted Twilight that the wolf was coming, seeing as he couldn't smell it. The beast darted from the brush and took Time in it's maw. Twilight and I locked eyes, transforming into wolves to keep up with the inhuman speed of our enemy.

   We pursued the gargantuan black canine through the trees and into the lemon grove on Illusion.  The temperature turned humid and the overwhelming fragrance of citrus threatened to clog my nose. I immediately recognized the reek of the den by its relation to the Shadowed Wolf's stench; it was simply the rotting flesh smell the wolf carried with the grove's perfume.

I met Twilight's eyes, and into the monster's den we went.