000. PROLOGUE

000. BROKEN GLASSES.

FIFTH YEAR,

FIFTH YEAR,

ELLINGTON ROSIER SAT ALONGSIDE HER BROTHERS, ADRIAN AND EVAN IN THE LIBRARY WHILE PREPARING FOR HER TRANSFIGURATION O.W.L. Evan, their younger brother, would call out questions and the twins would respond with what they thought the answer was. Ellington slowly realized that this certain course wasn't her twin's strong suit, but that could've been assumed since he put most of his energy in the Dark Arts and Potions. The frustration was evident across his visage every time Ellington managed to guess a question correctly while he wasn't sure what the correct answer was. He had become overbearingly competitive with her ever since she was sorted in Ravenclaw, wanting to prove that Slytherin was the best House. But he never quite achieved the level of expertise Ellington did. And that would always eat away at him.

"You only know all this because you spend every waking moment with your face shoved in a book." Adrian huffed out, pushing away the textbook that sat in front of him from a spur of irritation. He loathed being second best when compared to his sister. The sister that didn't get sorted into Slytherin. The one who crashed the legacy into the ground.

"Not all of us can be the golden child without effort, Adri." Ellington retorted, cracking a smile, but deep down she felt her insides begin to churn. She once was the golden child, the center of her parents' admiration, showered with gifts and affection, but once she entered Hogwarts, everything changed.

"I reckon once Adrian fails his Transfiguration O.W.L, I'll be the new golden child." Evan teased, nudging Ellington with a smirk. But Adrian didn't quite find his joke pleasing.

"I'm dropping that class anyway. The subject serves no purpose to me." Her twin admitted, waving his hand in the air dismissively.

"Too busy with learning the Dark Arts with your Death Eater buddies?" Ellington questioned rhetorically, head tilting to the side in a challenging way.

"Ellington," Evan warned, giving her a pointed look. Tensions were high between Ellington and Adrian ever since the Sorting Hat drove them apart. As children, they were constantly spotted with linked arms and beaming smiles, neither having a care in the world as long as their twin was by their side. But now a suffocating tension loomed over them every time they were in each other's presence. Evan found himself trapped in the middle but found himself leaning towards Adrian since he was the one who was sorted into Slytherin.

"I tend to forget I have a blood traitor sister. My apologies." Adrian muttered, the sarcasm dripping from his words that felt like bullets when they hit her. Ellington's eyes widened, a look of shock casting over her features, as Evan couldn't help but let his line of vision dart between the two of them, anxiously awaiting what was to happen next.