Chapter 30

"I honestly can't believe it, she's actually leaving. " 

Rosalee and Juliette were sitting on the couch with two mugs in their hands. Nick and Monroe were in the kitchen, reading up on a new wesen encounter.

"I didn't think she'd ever leave, feels like we're all family at this point. " Juliette spoke. She sipped at her tea. When they heard a knock at the door, Monroe walked out. "I'll get it!" He was already heading for the front, and as he pulled it open, you walked in.

"Hey, guys look who came to visit. " You gave a little wave, shutting the door and heading to where the women were lounging.

"Are you already done packing, I thought we'd have more time. We haven't even planned a girl's night yet." Rosalee is already stressing out, and you take her hand.

"I don't leave until the end of the week Rosalee. Whenever you want to have this girls night I'm down. I need the relaxation honestly. " Between packing and waiting for Alexander's reply, you were at your peak of exhaustion.

That day when you asked him, he said he needed time. After that, the topic never came up. He just held you, all night. Providing the much needed comfort. Then shortly after he left, back to the council. So you were in Portland, anticipating what he would say. Although at this point, you sort of figured it out. He wasn't going to leave. Alexander was dedicated to his job. You supposed it was in his nature. Duty always came over everything else.

Your silence gained a few concerned stares, and as Nick walked out, you looked over. Out of all of them, he was taking it the hardest. You needed to talk with him, privately. "Nick, can I chat with you for a second." he nods, leading you to the kitchen. Monroe makes a face, pointing to the kitchen. 

"That doesn't sound good." He mouths, gaining an eye roll from Rosalee.

Now that you're out of earshot of everyone else, you turn to Nick. He's trying pretty hard to look neutral, but you see the way his jaw is clenched.

"Nick..please don't look at me like that. This is something I have to do."

"I just wish you would have talked it over with me first."

"I know you Nick, you would have tried to talk me out of it. This isn't something you can fix. It's my decision. I can't stay here. Not after what happened. It's time that I move on. I've helped a lot of people Nick, done so much that people only dream of accomplishing in their lives. I've done enough Nick. This Grimm life, it isn't for me. I want to live my life. For me. I deserve that much."

You were right, of course you were. He just hated to lose you. You were like his own family. He never had siblings, but he supposed this is what it was like to have one.

"I just, I didn't want to lose you. "

"You're not losing me Nick. I'm moving to another state not another country." He finally smiles, and it's the first you've seen since giving the news. "I'll call you everyday, and write to you when I can. I'll even be back on holidays. I'm still going to keep the house here. Who knows, one day, I might want to give the Grimm thing another shot. What I know right now is, I'm going to live my life to the fullest. No regrets, or looking over my shoulder. Just the day by day struggles like all the other mundane people in this world." He takes a step forward, and you accept the hug that's coming, burying your face into his chest.

"I love you (Y/N)." This isn't even your actual goodbye, but it feels that way.

"I love you too Nick. Thank you for everything. " It's hard not to just break down there. But you manage to school your features. Nick's hold is still pretty tight, and you giggle when you realize he doesn't want to separate just yet. "Just a little longer.' he mumbles. You nod, exhaling softly.

"Okay."

For now, just his warmth is enough.