One

It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever and ever sight. ❞ — Vladimir Nabokov, LOLITA

OIKAWA'S EYES FLUTTERED SHUT as a strong gust of wind rustled his heavy weight curtains, accompanied seconds later by a somewhat intruding thump

The young prince had only reached the age of adulthood days ago but that didn't stop the heavy influx of noblemen offering their daughters' hands in marriage.

Of course, as a result he was severely exhausted as the entirety of his day was spent receiving various gifts from potential suitresses. He had always been popular amongst the girls as the oldest of the three heirs, receiving luscious gifts on a regular basis, but the surge in visitors managed to stress even him out.

Forcing a grateful smile all day exhausted his cheek muscles to the point where the thought of smiling disgusted him. Didn't they know he could obtain any of their material offerings with a single snap of his fingers?

It wasn't as if he was an ordinary person: being the heir of the royal family came with its privileges.

Granted his tired state, there was nothing Oikawa wanted more then sleep, but the possibility of an intruder piqued his imagination.

'Surely the guards would have caught anyone,' he reasoned, hugging his comforters closer as to keep warm. The soft silk of his pillow case rubbed against his cheek while he tried to reassure himself that his previous statement was true.

Yet moments later, he found himself barefoot, trotting towards his window with much cautiousness.

The coldness of the floor seeped up his soles but he paid little attention to it, more so fixated on the discovery of a figure located on his balcony.

Upon closer inspection, he had come to two important conclusions:

First, there was a girl on his balcony.

Second, she was - beautiful.

Luscious locks framed her intriguing eyes, billowing past the lower half of her face which was covered by a black mask. Judging by appearance, she appeared to be around his age, perhaps a year or two younger.

He didn't know what had possessed him to speak first, but words soon tumbled out regardless.

"Should I lie and tell you that was a graceful fall?"

His brown eyes curiously locked onto hers, observing her every movement and noting the immediate stiffening her body had underwent before she picked herself up with lavish eloquence. "I don't think you've seen enough people falling to judge."

Her distinct voice rang in his ears and the his breath hitched as she stood up, completely captivated by the unnamed girl. Despite his internal pleas, he remained unmoving, frozen to the ground while his gaze roamed her entire physique.

Never had he witnessed a sight quite as beautiful as the one before him. The tempo of her soft footsteps resembled a spell-binding chant, alluring him with each step.

A sweet laugh brought him back and his heartbeat accelerated, but surprisingly, not due to fear. She could push him off and he would still be a sitting duck, unable to process what was happening until it was too late, yet that thought never crossed the prince's mind.

Instead, every ounce of his focus was on her half covered face and he wondered what sort of features could possibly accompany such pretty eyes.

His fingers unconsciously reached to touch the unwanted fabric as she approached closer, but she narrowly dodged, leaving his hand wafting midair.

"Won't you reveal your face? After all, you came into my room uninvited," he murmured breathlessly. The gentle flutters in his stomach was a sensation unknown to him and never in his life had he experienced anything quite like it.

That wasn't to say it was bad per-say.

The girl chose not to answer, examining him. Any awareness of proximity was thrown out the window while she studied his features with understanding.

"They were right, you are pretty," she playfully whispered and a pale blush shyly crept up Oikawa's cheeks, decorating his complexion, "it's a shame I can't stay longer."

With those words, she retreated back, wearily glancing back at the opened windows to assure no guards had caught on to their exchange. Their encounter was a mistake and she had not counted on the brunette being the room's occupant.

Whichever insider had tipped the faction off was clearly misinformed - either that, or they weren't really in alliance with the faction at all.

In this scenario, it was best if she left right away.

However, with all the recent gossip of the prince's appearance and his growing popularity amongst the other girls, she couldn't resist getting a closer look after their accidental meeting.

Before she could escape via the path she had came in, a sturdy hand wrapped around her slender wrist, successfully halting her movements. Her eyes narrowed as the brunette lifted her fingers up to his lips, brushing them against her knuckles.

"That means a lot coming from someone as enchanting at yourself," he spoke, his warm breath engraving the words on her skin with each syllable. "So what's your name?"

A smile played on her lips although it couldn't be seen, "that's for me to know and you to find out your highness."

This time, she was gone and he was left staring at window left ajar.