02 | Code Names

CHAPTER 2: Code Names

1962

As I followed Charles into the CIA base I stuck true to my previous thought. The inside of the base was just as worse as the outside, plain walls, plain floors, plain decorations, plain people. Everywhere I looked was plain and boring.

I had a look of distaste on my face as we walked through the identical looking hallways eventually stopping at one of the doors on the right, which, I noticed, was one of the few with a lock on the door.

I snap back into reality as I hear Charles introducing me to everyone in the room.

"Hi." I say simply and shyly to the people in the room after Charles is finished talking.

"I'll leave you to it." Charles says to me before giving me a friendly pat on my shoulder and walking off back down the hallway.

"Hi Monique! I'm Raven! Nice to meet you!" a woman with blond hair and brown eyes immediately comes up to me, giving me a hug.

I straight away could tell that Raven was an extrovert. I didn't have anything against extroverts its just I'm an introvert and extroverts can be very tiring sometimes. Nevertheless I could tell Raven and I would become great friends.

After Raven steps out of the hug I step completely inside the room with the rest of the mutants and close the door behind me. I then follow Raven to the middle of the room where everyone is sitting on either couches or chairs.

Raven sits back down on her spot on the couch pulling me down to sit between her and a man with glasses and brown hair, which I do with a slight hesitation, not used to being around a lot of people.

Everyone starts to introduce themselves to me, obviously all already knowing each other.

"Hey I'm Alex Summers" the blonde man sitting next to Raven on one of the two chairs introduces.

"Sean Cassidy." the on the other chair next to Alex says next.

"Angel Salvadore."

"Armando Muñoz, but everyone calls me Darwin." the woman and man sitting across from me on the other couch introduce.

"And I'm Hank McCoy." the awkward man with glasses sitting next to me introduces.

"Hello" I say awkwardly waving my hand around to everyone. "I'm Monique Wilson, like Charles said."

"We should think of code names. We're government agents now. We should have secret code names."

"I want to be called Mystique." Raven continues.

"Damn! I wanted to be called Mystique." Sean complains jokingly.

"Well, tough. I called it." Raven replied chuckling at Sean.

Her whole body is then covered in blue scales for a second before they stop moving and where Raven previously sat is a now identical looking Sean, making us all shriek with surprise.

"Whoa!" Darwin and Alex exclaim as I just sit there wide eyed in amazement.

"And I'm way more mysterious than you." Raven finishes before turning back into herself. We then all give her a round of applause.

"Darwin, what about you?" Raven asks the man sitting across from me.

"Well, uh, Darwin's already a nickname, and, you know, sort of fits. Adapt to survive and all. Check this out."

I watch as Darwin gets up from his spot on the couch and walks over to the fish tank located at the other side of the room. when he reaches it he sticks his head into the top of the fish tank so his head is encased with water. As his body adapts to the water surrounding his head, he grows gills on the sides of his face so he can breathe underwater.