10 | Beast

CHAPTER 10: Beast

1962

The next morning I wake up to an unfamiliar room, in an unfamiliar bed. I look to my left where Charles is sleeping soundly, his arm resting over my torso. 

I spend the next few minutes contently watching him sleep, recalling the events of last night, of the kiss.

Eventually, when my stomach complains about the lack of food, I decide to try to get up. I slowly lift his arm removing it from on top of me. However, that's about how far I get before Charles groans and wakes up.

"Leaving so soon." Charles says, his morning voice croaky from lack of use.

"I was gonna go have breakfast, we have to fight Shaw today remember."

"Later." Charles complains, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me back onto the bed next to him. He then snuggles into me, not letting me go.

"Charles" I groan, drawing out his name. "We have to get up."

Charles groans but does, in fact, let me go. I then get up, leaving Charles in bed, and get dressed before heading down to the kitchen.

I am the first to arrive and  decide to make pancakes for breakfast for everyone since we are facing Shaw today.

I mix together the eggs, milk and flour and get the pan out, spreading some butter on it before pouring on the first of the mixture.

After the first few pancakes are cooked I hear Alex and Sean behind me.

"Do I smell pancakes?!" I stifle a laugh as I hear Sean shout out behind me.

"Yes! I love pancakes, Monique you're the best!" Alex cheers giving me a hug.

I let out a laugh at their excitement, forgetting for the moment about what we have to do today.

"Hey, thats my girlfriend you're hugging." I hear Charles jokily scold while walking over to me and giving me a quick peck on the lips.

Alex and Sean break the hug staring between the two of us in surprise for a second before congratulating us, grabbing their pancakes and then sitting down at the table.

"Look who decided to finally get up" I joke in my head, knowing he will hear me.

"In my defence you did wake up at 7am" Charles replies in my head

"So I could make everyone pancakes. You're welcome" I think.

"Yes but I would have much rather lied in bed with my girlfriend than have pancakes for breakfast."

 I fake a gasp. "Show some respect for the pancakes" I joke

"Will you two stop mentally flirting and save that poor pancake!" Alex's shout breaks me out of my conversation with Charles and I blush realising that we had just been staring at each other that whole time. Charles stops looking at me and his eyes trail to the stovetop next to me, widening in panic. I follow his eyesight and notice the pancake was burning.

I quickly take the pan off of the heat and chuck the burnt pancake in the sink, before quickly cooking the rest of the pancakes.

Soon everyone but Hank is sitting at the table eating the pancakes. I had asked if anyone knew where Hank was but received all negative answers, I decided that he's probably just still sleeping and so I let him be.

I notice Sean and Alex are sneaking little glances at Charles and I, obviously wanting to tell the others about us. I just sigh inwardly, trying to ignore them. 

I also noticed that there was some hard feelings going on between Charles and Raven, they're less like siblings and more like best friends who had a falling out. Raven seems to be mad at Charles and Charles just seems a bit sad, but also annoyed at himself.

I set a mental reminder to ask them what happened if I have a chance.

Soon everyone finishes eating and we head up to Hank's lab to find him.

as we near the door to the lab we see a note stuck on it.

Gone to the airbase, bring the crate marked X. 

Hank.

Charles grabs the note and then opens the doors, walking inside, us following behind.

"Woah." I say taking in the trashed room in front of me, everything has been either knocked over or broken except for a large box at the end of the room.

"What the hell happened here?" Erik questions as Charles walks through the room towards the box marked X. 

We all follow, carefully stepping over the broken glass.

As Charles opens up the box we all stand around him staring into the box.

"Hank has been busy." Erik remarks staring at the blue and yellow suits pilled in the box.

"Do we really have to wear these?" Alex complains.

"As none of us are mutated to endure extreme G-force or being riddled by bullets, I suggest we suit up." Charles says as we all grab our suits and go to 'suit up'.

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

We all arrive at the airbase not too long after and are currently standing next to a large warplane waiting for Hank.

I turn to Charles who's standing right next to me and grab his hand trying to calm my nerves. I feel him squeeze my hand reassuringly as he also turns to face me, giving me a quick kiss.

"Kinky." I hear Erik remark from behind us. I turn around only to see everyone now looking at us and I realise we hadn't yet told everyone we were dating. I see Raven smirking at me and I give her a look saying we will talk about this later.

Thankfully everyone soon forgets about us for now as Moira asks where Hank is.

"I'm here." I hear a voice say. I turn towards the direction it came from only to see a bulky figure walking up to us, as he gets closer I soon realise that it is, in fact, Hank. However he is now, big, blue and furry.

"It didn't attack the cells. It enhanced them. It didn't work." Hank says sounding heartbroken.

"Yes it did, Hank. Don't you see? This is who you were meant to be. This is you. No more hiding." Raven says, stepping closer to him.

"Never looked better, man." Erik remarks.

Hank suddenly gets hold of Erik's throat, and lifts him up, choking him.

"Hank?" Charles questions concerned, stepping forward slightly.

"Don't...mock me!" Hank warns Erik.

"Hank, put him down immediately, please? Hank! Hank!" Charles finally gets through to Hank as he lets go, Erik dropping to the ground to catch his breath.

"I wasn't!" Erik grumbles.

"Even I gotta admit, you look pretty bad-ass. I think I got a new name for you." Alex comments making Hank growl and look at him. "Beast."

"You sure you can fly this thing?" Sean questions Hank trying to ease the tension.

"Of course I can, I designed it."

════ ⋆★⋆ ════ 

"Never go in search of love, go in search of life, and life will find you the love you seek."

Written: Saturday 13 March 2021

Not edited