CHAPTER 5 - The Escape

Thundering hooves echoed throughout the barren land outside of Little Valley, four of the five members of the Edwards Gang were patrolling the landscape. Watched closely by towering stone behemoths which littered the area. Revolvers drawn and eyes open for any sign of the escaped individuals.

"See anything?" Hugh asked the group.

"Nothing, it's too dark." Thomas replied, his head was bandaged up

The four of them had rushed to attempt and chase the pair who had fled their grasp. However, they were riding blind into the vast, empty desert. Getting further and further away from the outskirts of the town. Mike, who had a lantern in hand, was skeptical about trying to pursue them.

"I don't wanna get lost out here." He said. "Plus, we gotta treat that head wound of yours further, Tom."

"If I ever see those two again..." Hugh muttered, he turned his horse around. Followed closely by Mike.

Grayson patted Tom's back, motioning with his head to come with the rest of the gang. With a hefty sigh, he turned his horse around to ride back to Little Valley.

Further away from them, hid the boy and the girl. Thanks to Mike's lantern, they could see their pursuers returning to the mining town. Right behind them, Eustice dug his front right hoof into the ground alike to a dog breathing heavily from the sudden sprint that was forced onto him.

"Again, thank you for helping me get out of there." He said.

"No problem, you're one of the best things to have happened to the town in years." The girl replied.

"That's saying a lot." Replied the boy.

"It's absolutely much better than the citizens being enslaved. You're the best chance my home has." She says.

"Hope you can shoot, I can't take on five of them by myself." The boy quietly responded, peeking over the rock they were hiding behind.

"My father taught me, however I guess I'm a bit rusty. Girl's gotta defend herself somehow." She said.

Mike, Hugh, Grayson and Thomas all began to turn their horses around in order to head back to a disappointed and angry gang leader.

"We'll head out once more in the morning when we're able to see where we're going." The two heard Mike say aloud. "Don't forget that map."

Staying silent, the two escapees watched their pursuers disappear from sight. Even staying quiet a few minutes after, just in case any of them were to return and second

"Looks like we have some time. They've gone back to wait until daytime." Whispered the boy.

"So, where are we headed?" His partner questioned.

*****

Into the town of Sweetwater, the two individuals rode. The bounty hunter tied the tired horse to a post, next to a tub of drinking water. Where the girl, still dressed as a barista, got off. The boy patted Eustice's head and gave him some carrots which had originally been meant for Charger. Wiping his eyes a little, he attempted to stay awake after a long period of riding. As they had been mounted for quite a few hours before arriving.

"Now what?" The girl asked.

People looked at the two as they went about their early morning routine, the boy took notice of this instantly.

"You better change out of those bartender clothes, they're impractical for what we're about to get into." He recommended, reaching for his satchel. Before he paused.

"Where's my-" He asked himself, before he slowly came to a conclusion. "Crap. They must've looted me after they knocked me out."

"That's just great." The girl frustratingly sighed, leaning against a wooden supporting pole. "I should've tried to find it."