CHAPTER 8 - The Battle

It was mid afternoon, the miners were all congregated in their barracks, guarded by their fellow complacent townspeople. On the train station, the Edwards gang were guarding the total output of two weeks. Eugene was leaning against the crate which contained massive amounts of wealth a man could only dream of in his life. Thomas and Hugh were conversing as they smoked together, while Grayson watched in the distance. Stamp sat on a bench nearby, a bad of gold was in his punch as a reward for taking up arms with them.

"Edwards, the train was supposed to arrive about ten minutes ago, shouldn't we send someone out to see if it needs retrieving?" Asked Stamp.

"First of all, from now on it's boss. Secondly, there are always complications in the rail lines these days, it'll be best to just wait it out." Eugene dismissed.

The creaking of a nearby windmill gave way to the distant sound of approaching train cars.

"Better late than never, what did I say folks?" Eugene grinned.

The train appeared to be running on fumes, but luckily it had enough momentum to reach the platform. The five gunslingers watched as the hulking iron horse inched into the station, the engine groaned as it eventually ceased to move.

"Come on out there you lazy cripple!" Hollered Eugene. He held his hands to his belt as he approached the passenger car, waiting for his employer to step out with his guards and assess the gains.

Meanwhile, Thomas approached the engine to ask the engineer why he had taken so long to arrive. Before he saw something that made his gasp slightly in surprise.

"Eugene!" He called. Beckoning over the gang leader.

"The hell's going on here?" Questioned Eugene, his question answered as Thomas pointed into the train's engine room.

He peered into the engine room to see the corpse of Renee Haymond himself.

"...Looks like the old man finally bought it." He chuckled a little.

"What?" Hugh asked, approaching the other two to see Haymond's dead body.

"Think about it, boys. We run the mine until it's dry, make bank and get away with a profit and lastly retire someplace barren. Nobody would ever know."

All of a sudden. As Stamp stepped towards the cargo car, sliding the door open. There stood the two he tried to betray for a share of the Little Valley gold. They already had their pistols out and pointed at him, Stamp stood there shocked unable to express himself in any way.

"Tired, Stamp?" The boy asked.

The girl opened fire first, followed by her partner. Stamp's head flew back as his corpse collapsed onto the ground. Eugene and his remaining members instantly glanced to where they had suddenly heard a gunshot, a revolver peeked around the corner firing blindly towards the group. Thomas fled with Hugh into the town, shortly followed by Eugene.

Grayson was able to leap down from the tower he was perched on and followed along with the rest of the gang.

"Eugene! You and your sons o' bitches are dead!" The boy shouted as he reloaded his pistol, before holstering it and unslinging his rifle.

"Come get us, then!" Cried Thomas from a distance.

The pair advanced into the town as Thomas and Grayson waded into the armory. Hugh went into hiding to try and ambush the two as they entered the town. Eugene had left to gather the town's small militia in order to attempt a counterattack.

Hugh unleashed a hail of pistol fire from behind the hotel as the girl returned fire. The boy missed a rifle shot as he ducked to reload the spent bullet.