Day 7- At the Right Time

Day 7: Use time travel in a story.

______________________________________________________________

“Kat, go upstairs now. You are nineteen years old. It is time for you to grow up and take responsibility for your actions” My moms, points to the staircase, and I do as she says. Mumbling curses under my breath the whole time. When my right foot hits the top step I begin to feel nauseous. Then I lift my left food, and as soon as I set it down, I feel myself falling backwards. I scream at the top of my lungs.            Suddenly, I am sitting at an oak desk, with a typewriter sitting in front of me. I am wearing a dark gray dress covered in little lavender and teal flowers. The fabric is scratchy. My hair is pulled back in a ponytail. The room is unrecognizable.

“Katherine, will you please, stop banging your hands on that typewriter and help our guests settle in.” I spin and see my mother standing at the door, but instead of her usual business suit, she is standing in a ratty dress with one hand on her hip. The other hand is holding a kitchen towel. She looks like she is about five months pregnant.

“Ma, I don’t understand what is going on? “Why did you call me Katherine? What guests are you talking about? What the heck are you wearing? And since when are you pregnant?”

        “Stop being obnoxious, and get yourself downstairs to the linen closet. Put fresh linen on the beds, with folded towels on the dresser, and then come down for something to eat.” She kisses me on the cheek and leaves me to my own devices.

        Somehow I manage to find the linen closet and I make the two empty beds, in the room across from the closet. I also put towels on the dresser, but instead of going downstairs for a snack, I go back into the room with the beds. I spin in a circle a few times, trying to figure out, where the hell I am. Suddenly a little girl comes barreling into the room.

        “Kat, Kat. New guests have arrived!” She bounces up and down on her toes. “They have a really cute boy with them. He looks just a little bit older than you. Isabella, and I were peeking through the window.”

        I stare at her, with a blank look on my face.

        “Come on Kat, let’s go downstairs so you can meet him. Maybe you guys will fall in love!” She grabs my hand and drags me down the stairs. When we reach a room, with two flower pattern couches she finally lets go of my hand and scurries over to my very pregnant mother.

        “Girls, this is Mary-Ann and her son Lucas. They will be staying with us, for about four months.” My mom introduces the other strangers in the room.

        I look at the boy and can’t help but stare. We hold eye contact for almost a whole minute, before my mom steps in between.

        “Mary-Ann, Lucas, these are my two oldest girls. Katherine and Ally.” She picks up the little girl from the floor. “And you already met, this little rascal.” The baby giggles. She looks around three, but I am not very sure. ”Katherine, will take you to your room, and then show you to the kitchen, so that you can have something to eat. I’m sure you’re starving, after your long journey.”

        I give a small wave, and things settle into an awkward silence. Then Lucas jumps up and grabs the two suitcases off the floor.

        “Mom, I will take everything up, and then I’m going to take a short nap. You go enjoy something to eat.” He plants a tender kiss on her forehead and then turns to me. “Shall we?”

        I nod, and begin to walk up the stairs. I lead the boy to the room, with the fresh linen. He pulls me into the room behind him, and pushes me onto one of the beds.