5. FRIEND MARISS

Even after meeting Reno, Felix was not entirely sure whether such a lawyer would be his right choice, especially because of his physical condition. So he looked up for Reno's friend, no less excellent attorney Mariss Rein, because Felix once read in a magazine that Mariss and Reno were still close friends.

Mariss, when learning about Felix's interest in collaborating on a long-term project with Reno and possibly – in a team with Mariss as well, gladly agreed to meet Felix. They met at the recently renovated art museum, where ears that could hear something in the middle of the working day usually belonged only to tourists speaking other languages. Felix, however, initially remained silent about the specifics of the project.

"Let's go, I'll show you something," Mariss whispered to Felix after a brief greeting, although the whispers echoed quite loudly in that huge museum hall. Mariss had stepped into a stylish custom-made suit, and despite his grey hair was still often a desired by many women.

"Do you know this painting?" after a few minutes of walking around the museum, the lawyer began the conversation. He pointed to a small dark work depicting a woman leaning down slightly who was looking at a monkey dressed in a red camisole and a hat, who had grabbed the woman's long jewellery. After Felix's negative nod the lawyer continued: "This is a famous work of the symbolism genre of the Latvian most known classic Janis Rozentals: Princess with a Monkey. It is believed that the monkey symbolizes the artist as a servant or entertainer for art and society. Isn't it beautiful? We and the daily miserable business of this world will leave, but the painting will stay for generations to admire. By the way, an exhibition at the charming D'Orsay Museum in Paris was recently dedicated to Baltic symbolism, including Janis's legendary work."

"Sounds like you're an art lover."

"Yes, I like to walk here when I need to ventilate my head or gather thoughts. I think Reno is like that monkey - an infinitely faithful servant to his beautiful mistress, the society. Our friendship with Reno really began when we wrote each other intensively on various more or less different topics both, down to earth ones and also on philosophy. I was called up to serve in the army, but Reno escaped from the army for obvious reasons," gradually Mariss began to tell about the topic of interest to Felix, slowly moving through the hall dedicated to the Latvian paintings.

"Reno has a great memory; he has read a zillion of books, plays chess, can play the melody of any song on an accordion that he mastered on his own. But the most amazing thing about Reno is his kindness, open smile and sense of humour. It was a fantastic evening, when during the years of Reno's studies, together with friends from the choir, of course, together with a glass of a delicious drink, was singing a whole concert at home. Reno's wife Aija also seemed happy at the time, because as a hospital librarian she liked social gatherings with philosophical conversations. Unbelievable, but people felt happy at that time without gadgets, Facebook, Twitter and TV. "

"However, with all due respect I can't tell you anything more personal about Reno, as I don't know you and your intentions," Mariss was quite direct about the unusual situation.

"I understand you and appreciate what you already told about him. Do you have to keep a secret what I will tell you? "

"Of course, the confidentiality is my obligation under the law." Then Felix told to Mariss as well everything about the unexpected visit and his suspicions that the tax police and, most likely, the politicians were involved. Mariss was struck by this and stopped as he understood the seriousness of the situation - it could turn into one of the loudest scandals in the country so far. Mariss suggested to Felix that they could work in a team of three: Mariss for legal matters and Reno for taxes.

"An interesting offer. I'll think about it. But at the beginning, could you please tell me a bit more about Reno? I am interested in a deeper understanding of Reno's thoughts and character. I only have a few days left to decide, if I can afford to risk everything and move forward with the plan I just negotiated with him."