Pawprint

Since the announcement, the Tournament was all anyone could talk about for weeks. The two other wizarding schools wouldn't be arriving until the 30th of October, and as September was now moving on, we had to continue waiting.

I woke with a start, a weight hitting my head and dazing me. My hand found my hair as I flailed in my bed, attempting to blink the stars out of my vision.

"Happy birthday!" A shriek pierced through my ears as I looked to Katie, who stood beside my bed with a pillow in hand.

"Thanks Katie, but why did you have to wake me up any earlier than usual?" I muttered, drawing my duvet closer to my chin to bask in the soft warmth that sleep had left tangled in the sheets.

"Because you have presents! And I wanted to give you mine before breakfast." Her matter of fact tone woke up the other girls, who all murmured a sleepy 'happy birthday' to me.

I couldn't deny the child like satisfaction that Katie displayed, she loved birthdays and always did her best to make them memorable for everyone each year.

She pointed at the foot of my bed, where several packages lay. She looked at me eagerly, and with a gentle nod of my permission she picked up the nearest one and threw it in my waiting arms.

It was small and neatly wrapped, and that immediately drew out the twins, dad, and Jerry. The tag read 'Mei Mei'. The neat cursive writing and the nickname told me it was from my sister.

She had gifted me a packet of sugar quills and new records that had been released this year, from the likes of Blur, Oasis and Nirvana.

Jerry brought his record player to Grimmauld Place last summer when we had all moved back in, and to say dad was fascinated with it was an understatement. He loved muggle music, ever since he was a teen and used it as a way to rebel against my pureblood manic grandparents.

"Here. Be careful with this one, it stinks." Katie broke my reminiscence and handed me another present, scrunching her nose at the smell that drifted as the paper covering it was disturbed. This one was badly wrapped and held my name in a simple scrawl in pen.

Only one person in my life (two including my dad, but they have the same genes anyway) could wrap anything so horrendously. That was Jerry.

The pungent smell grew stronger as I tore off the wrapping, and a small laugh bubbled from my lips as I saw what he had sent me.

"No way he sent me this!" I giggled, unable to hold my amusement in any longer.

"What is it?" Angelina asked as she peered at the green packets in my hand. "He just sent me something to make sure I had a good birthday and to get through the weeks." My laughs didn't stop as I opened my bedside drawer and stuffed the present under some socks.

"Here. This is from me!" Katie giggled, pushing a neatly wrapped present into my palm. I gave her a smile and opened it, aware of her suspenseful gaze. She had got me a silver anklet with several enchanted charms that glimmered with a soft glow.

"I love it Katie, thank you." I whispered gratefully, throwing my arms over her shoulders and bringing her into a hug. She laughed as she patted my back, saying how glad she was that I liked it.

"Come on, let's go to breakfast." I announced, pulling Angelina's duvet off the end of her bed so she would get up and changed.

Finally managing to escape the dorm after opening my gifts (from Fred I just received a note telling me he would give me my present tonight), I entered the Great Hall for breakfast with the girls at my sides. Fred turned his head to me and a bright smile stretched across his face as he patted the empty bench next to him.