The second task

"...Now, this won't hurt at all. Trust us and breath." That was the last thing I heard before I got hit in the chest by a sudden warmth that spread across my entire body, and then, darkness enveloped me.

~~~~~~~~

~FRED'S POV~

The Gryffindor table was bustling with noise, many familiar faces walked past to clap Harry on the back and wish him luck for the task. How quickly people went from shouting obscenities at him in the hallways and wearing those ridiculous badges to sucking up to him was concerning, some people would get fake as soon as they saw a slither of glory they could steal.

It was breakfast time, and it was already 8:30 but Mei was yet to show up. I scanned the Ravenclaw table in hopes she would be there with her sister, but Charlotte wasn't there either.

A frown settled on my face as I picked at my food, and George's voice rang through my ears, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"So if we start making rounds as everyone gets settled in the stands, we should receive some wicked bets. Sound like a plan?"

"What? Yeah, didn't we discuss this already?"

My brother picked up on my unusual change in mannerisms, seeing as we knew each other inside out and back to front.

"You looking for your girl Fredo?" He teased, although his tone wasn't snide. He loved Mei just as much as I did, although his love was platonic. They were best friends, she was like his sister.

"She's not here." I grumbled. I gave up with my breakfast and pushed my plate away from me, instead I reached into my jacket pocket to take out my hat.

"She's probably gone down with her sister to wait for Harry and Warrington to talk to them before they have to compete. No sweat, we'll see her at the Lake after we've taken bets." He reasoned, shoving his matching hat onto his head.

As always, his words calmed me and helped me to see the logical explanation as to why the Blacks were missing. "You're probably right mate. Let's go, the faster we get these bets done, the faster I can see her."

~ Cassius's POV~

Breakfast seemed to be a morbid event, between Sarah talking my ear off and clinging onto my arm for dear life, and Malfoy trying to kiss my arse, I just needed the task to be over and done with so I could disappear and relax by myself.

I watched as the Weasley twins rose from the Lion's table and leave the hall, although they weren't accompanied by Mei. Confusion crossed my mind, those three were never normally far apart from each other.

"Cassius? Are you listening to me?" Sarah called me, and I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes.

Sarah was my sort of girlfriend, she was shy and adorable at first but quickly became possessive and rude about some of the closest people in my life, Mei included. And as they say, cute becomes dumb in an instant.

I wanted to be rid of her as soon as possible, so I managed a weak smile as I stood up. "I need to go. Dumbledore is waiting for me and the others down by the Lake."

"Oh, I'll come with you!"

"No it's okay, finish your breakfast and I'll see you when I'm done."

"If you're sure. I'll be cheering for you baby." She smiled at me, not noticing my visible cringe at her pet name.

"Yeah, sure. Bye." I left without another word, making my way down to the Black Lake whilst keeping an eye out for Mei and Charlotte.

To my dismay, they were nowhere to be seen.