003. STRANGERS

' WIRES

' WIRES. '
CHAPTER 003.
STRANGERS.

THE SKY CLEARED, the banging of heavy rain on the metal roof of the van finally stopped. Neve lifted her head to look out the window, the sand was wet and the clouds were running into the horizon.

"I never thought I'd miss that awful sunshine," Gally grinned, letting out an exasperated sigh. Neve nodded, almost smiling with him. Just then the van jerked and came to a halt. "Looks like it's time for you to go back out there," he nodded as the sound of a car door closing could be heard.

Neve felt an unexpected pang of disappointment. She realized that she really didn't want to go back out there, all alone.

The trunk doors swung open and two masked faces hung inside. "Time to go girl," one barked, motioning outside. Neve waited a moment looking back at Gally then to the other people before slinging her bag over her shoulder. She nodded and stepped into the sand reluctantly. She knew she couldn't stay with them, she had to get somewhere safe. The plan was to do it alone, and that was what she was gonna do. She stared at the van for a moment before turning around and looking at the expanse of land.

"Hold on," she said, turning back around as they were closing up the trunk, "Where the hell are we?" The masked faces looked at her, hesitating as if it was some top secret information.

"Few miles west of Limon, I reckon. Or, what used to be Limon," one said, his voice was tough, southern. "Why? Where you headed, missy?"

Neve panicked for a moment, not wanting to say the exact location but also not knowing what else to say, "Denver."

Gally leaned over and whispered in the ear of the southern guy who sighed deeply. "Get in the van," he ordered, pointing at Neve. "We'll give you a ride as long as you don't make too much noise and don't bum any of our smokes."

Neve knit her brow in confusion. "Why? Why would you give me a ride?"

"We were heading there anyway. Wasn't gonna tell ya where we were going but Gally here thinks we ought to be good samaritans and help ya out," the guy shrugged, turning around without another word. Denver wasn't her original plan, but if she had the protection of these guys, it couldn't be so bad. After they arrived she'd take off to her destination, alone. She trusted Gally, at least a little, so after a moment's contemplation she walked up to the trunk and snapped it open. Gally stopped her.

"You can sit up front this time, if like Tuck said, you don't talk too much. But so far it seems like you don't talk enough unless you're asking questions," he said, closing the trunk door again and pulling his mask back over his face.