chapter one

-Jane Fox's POV-

   "Hurry up Janie! Practice is starting!", my best friend Adam Banks yells across the locker room.
"Go on without me!", I finish tying my left skate and walk over to Adam. "Great, now coach is gonna make us do laps.", he groans as I roll my eyes, "You didn't have to wait for me you know." "Now, what kind of best friend would I be if I did that?", Adam slings his arm around my shoulder.

     "Banks, Fox, you're late!", coach yells from the box. "No, really I didn't know that.", I mumble and Adam just laughs. "20 laps around the rink at the beginning and end of practice.". "Whoever finishes first gets to chose the movie tonight.", he challenges, "3, 2." All I hear is Adam groan as I elbow him in the stomach.

     We eventually finish and I beat Adam by a long shot. No matter how hard he tries, he has never beaten me in laps or races. "Deuces, come here.", I skate over. "What's up coach?". "You need to start arriving on time for practice, or you'll lose your starting position.", he goes on, "And I really don't want to start McGill at center.". "You could start Adam in center and start McGill in left wing.", I recommend. "I could, but you are the best center. And I want you to start.".  I nod and he shoos me away. "I can't believe you lost to a girl, Banks.", McGill taunts while coming to a stop after skating circles a round the two boys, "It's embarrassing. This is a mans sport.". I pick up speed and head straight for McGill. I come to a complete stop and spray him with ice. "If this is a mans sport why are you playing it?". Larson and Adam laugh while McGill skates toward me. "I'm a man.", he puffs out his chest in attempt to make him look tougher. But, in reality it just makes him look stupid. "Oh please, if your a man than I'm god.". "Well, your just a-a stupid spoiled little princess.", he shoots back. "He's right about something. She is little.", Larson balances his arm on top of my head. "And she is a princess.", Banks adds putting his arm on top of Larsons. I elbow both of them in the stomach making them fall it the ground. Adam and Alex Larson are the only people I talk to outside of hockey. Adam more than Alex but that's because he lives right next to me. The other people on the hawks are my friends when it's hockey season but otherwise they are acquaintances. "Hey! I'm not little or a princess. One, I'm the same height as you Larson. Two, if i'm going to be a princess, might as well be an ice princess."

     The hawks start heading off the ice after a two hour practice when coach yells out. "Banks! Fox! You still owe me 20 laps.". We both look at each other and groan. No challenge this time, we both just wanted to get it over with. I go as fast as my tired legs can take me, and finish the 20 laps. "Hurry up Addy! If you take any longer, we are going to have to walk home. You know how my mom doesn't like to wait.", I finally close my tired eyes. The rink is completely quiet other than the faint sounds of Adam's skates. The sounds of his skates become louder and louder until I feels two arms wrap around my waist and lift me of the ground. "Put me down, Adam Banks!", he skates in circles as my feet dangle. "Not a chance Janie!", and with that he carries me off the ice, "You are not light.". "And you are not strong.",  I say putting my feet on the ground.

     "Where is my sweatshirt?", Adam says digging in his hawks bag. I try to hide my laugh after pulling the hood up, "I have no clue!". "Jane, give me my sweatshirt." "Uh nope.", I say popping the p. Adam begins to pout while I just slap the back of his head. "Sorry man. It's cold out there and I forgot my sweatshirt.", I pull him out the locker room. "What about me! Now I'm going to be cold.", he pulls me back so we are walking at the same pace. "You said it yourself, I'm a princess. Princesses should never be cold.", we swing our arms back and forth. "But, you're an ice princess. Shouldn't you be used to the cold, I guess it's fine. I'd rather be cold then have you be cold.", using his free arm he opens the door to the outside, "after you m'lady.".

     "Look there is my mom's car!",, once again I start to pull him towards the grey car. "Here they come!", my thirteen year old sister yells from the passenger side. She must have just come from dance practice. My sister is one of the best ballet dancers I have ever seen. Nina dances at my moms edina studio. She has one other location in Minneapolis. I used to dance but went full time with hockey. "Bee, can you help them put their bags in the trunk?", my mom asks.