chapter thirteen

-Jane Fox's POV-

Today is March 14, the day of the state finals. It's been two weeks since out last victory over the Cardinals in the semifinals. We've had practice every other day. Not including the practicing I did by myself or with Adam. Both my parents and the twins are here to watch the game. Even Adam's dad is coming to the game with his mom. Tommorrow, Adam and I are going on our first date! Connie and Tammy are coming over to help me get ready. Speaking of Tammy, she leaves in two days for the San Francisco Skating Conservatory. Turns out her whole family is moving to San Francisco. So, we are loosing two players. I also heard that Jesse's parents are getting divorced. That Terry is moving with him mom to Duluth while Jesse stays in Minneapolis. We are lucky Jesse is staying as long as he is. The first year of high school, Jesse is moving to Duluth. Last practice, Coach announced Charlie as team captain. So, Peter and Karp are quitting because they don't think Char is good enough. That is 4 more players. To be fair, we only really need Terry and Jesse.

     "You ready to kick some asses today?", I announce walking into the locker room. A round of cheers are heard for around the locker room. This is mine and Adam's first game against the Hawks. And it's the finals. I take my spot next to Adam, as I begin to untie my Air Jordans. "You ready for the game?", I say not look up from shoes. "I'm actually kind of nervous. The hawks know how we play.", Adam states. "And we know how they play better than anything. We know what Wise's weaknesses are. I haven't missed yet, and I'm sure not missing today.", I continue, "We made it this far, we aren't going to play for second.".

Fulton is standing the mirror with his eye black. "Gimme some.", I stick my hand out as he chuckles. I smear the black paint under my eyes to match Fulton. "Let's win this bitch.", Fulton messes up my hair. "Jane! Your dad needs to talk to you!", Bombay yells from the entrance. I walk towards the locker room door, flipping Fulton off. Tying my braid into a bun, I push open the door. There my father is talking to a man with light brown hair. "Hi dad!", I walk over to them. "This is Andrew Fang, he works for a boarding school in Albany New York.", my dad introduces. "Hello! I'm Jane", he cuts me off. "Jane Fox. I've heard a lot about you. Like your father said, I work at Albany Academy in New York.", he explains.

Dad went to Albany Academy with my uncle. They were friends, and my uncle introduced my mom to my dad. Anyways, the Albany Academy Pythons is this really good hockey school. The only way you can get in is if you were recommended or scouted. Most people from that school turn out to be NHL or play in the professional league. Maybe even the olympics.

"I've heard of that school. My dad went there.", Andrew nods. "I coach the fifth grade A team.", the school is fifth through eighth. Than you go to high school, that is very talented at hockey. "Since the beginning of the year, we have needed a center. So, I would like you to become the new starting center.", my eyes light up, "Do you accept?". I look at my dad and he nods. "I would love too!". "Great. I'm going to go call the headmaster. See when you can get on a flight to New York.". "Janie, don't tell your friends about this. They need to focused on the game.", my dad tells me.

     The lights are turned down, and both teams are lined up opposite of each other. Karp looks like he is trying to bite the other team. I quietly laugh at his actions, causing Adam to nudge me in the ribs. It's takes every thing in side of me not to push him down. All because it would be funny. I catch McGill staring at me so I wink. Immediately his cheeks turn bright red and I laugh. The crowd finishes sing the National Anthem. "Dang they hit that high note.", I whisper to Fulton who is standing in front of me. He playfully rolls his eyes and attempts to hold back his laughter.

      "Let's go alright!", Bombay yells clapping his hands. Both team skate to their bench's. "Welcome to the Minnesota State Pee Wee Championship. Have we got a game for you today. The Hawks coached by Jack Reilly.", the announcer booms. The Hawks fans begin chanting "Win! Win! Win!" with the Hawks. The ducks are all circled facing coach. I'm standing the center between Adam and Connie with Fulton behind me. "Ducks, let's get fired up!",
Coach cheers, "Come on let's get fired up!". "Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!", we begin to chant. As our fans begin to chant with us. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Avery. She is wearing my jersey. Once we make eye contact, her eyes light up and she waves back and forth. I smile and wave to her. Both sets of fans go back in fourth with cheering and booing. I'm just confused on why they are so into a Pee Wee championship game.