Three ♔

Same day as The Prologue- July, 2020

Thumping our fists against the table, Otis and I call "rock, paper, scissors, shoot!"

Otis has his hand balled into a fist while I had my fore and middle fingers stuck out.

I groaned, "I went last time, why do I have to go again?"

"You know the rules, best out of three and loser gets groceries."

Grumbling I continue to oppose, "that doesn't mean I like them. Why can't we get that rule annulled?"

Shrugging, Otis grabbed a banana from the pile of fruits on our table, "stop moping and get to it. I'm going to record 'Will They Won't They' today so if you feel like it, wander the aisles a bit."

That meant that Otis wants me out of the apartment for as long as I can manage before being considered a loiterer.

Sighing, I swipe my wallet and apartment key off the table and stuffed them into the pockets of my board shorts. These days my current outfit of a plain navy muscle top, basic board shorts, and my trust matching navy mask was the nicest I dressed.

Running my hands through my hair I shook it out, I needed a haircut but do not trust Otis to do it. I'll leave him with my life and everything in it except my hair.

So I'll work with it being long enough to scoop into a baby bun if I wanted to.

The walk to the grocery store is uneventful, but it's full of sticky July air and people watching their steps.

Seattle is a beautiful city, truly. It's filled to the brim with beautiful people, all of them carry around their own story and lesson and life. It's beautiful how much a person, story, lesson, and life can impact someone.

Seattle's local grocery store is typical of a grocery store, there's nothing grand or spectacular about it, it's a grocery store in Seattle.

Pulling out my wallet and inside of it the grocery list, I sanitize the cart and embark on my journey through the store.

Thankfully, Otis's marksmanship is better than mine, so I can actually read the items written on the lined paper.

"Granola Bars

Monster

Fish sticks

Bread

Peanut butter

Toaster Waffles

Coffee beans

Creamer

Cheez-its

Tortilla chips

Orange juice

Bananas

Gala apples"

Starting with the energy drink, I carefully set the box of six in my cart, hoping not to break or dent anything so I don't have to repeat the process.

I make my way to the breakfast aisle next. The honey and oat granola bars are amazing when you're cranking out your final points for your debate speeches the night- more like three hours- before.

Setting three boxes into my cart I scribbled the item off my list before shoving the list and small pencil into the front pocket of my shorts.

Looking up and down the aisle, I meet eyes with a seriously stunning girl.

Her blonde hair flowed over her shoulders beautifully messy and slightly frizzy from the humidity. Her dark brown eyes drew me in and almost didn't let go. At the sight of the seemingly hand drawn portrait of a cute dog on her light blue face mask (that was over her nose!).