One

February, 2020

"Brody!" Otis called from the living room, "I'll leave without you if you don't hurry it up."

"Hold on," I shout, tripping as I shove my leg through the sleeve of my jeans.

I could feel him rolling his eyes as I yanked the jeans on and kicked a dirty t-shirt from the hallway into my room.

With a minor pant, I'm standing in front of my roommate, ready to go to whatever concert he has planned for us to go to tonight, "you're lucky I like you, O."

He laughs, "oh yeah I'm so lucky, now come on or we're gonna miss the opener because you can't put your pants on, literally."

I can't help but laugh as I grab my keys from the hook beside our apartment door. I've been living with Otis for two years, Seattle University managed to pair together a sophomore and a freshman when they both selected random for a room assignment. It wasn't unheard of, but it was unlikely.

Living on campus was fun, I guess, but living off campus is even more fun. Throw in my best friend as my apartment roommate and it was a blast.

Another perk of being a college junior, I got to pick when I wanted my classes, so I only have to go to class Monday through Thursday. Lucky for me, that means I don't have to worry too much about class work while I party over the weekends.

That wouldn't be the case for much longer, though. I've got an amazing offer to work as an intern with the city governor

I use the term 'party' lightly, though. I'd much rather go to a Panic! At The Disco concert, but Otis's concerts aren't ragers at bars or clubs, they're half-bad indie groups that played at Vanessa's open mic night. A bonus to that meant that I got to watch Otis play.

I mean, I live with the guy and he practices all the time, but I'm still amazed when he performs. It's like he's an entirely different guy than the one that eats a bag of fish sticks a week and listens to Riptide by Vance Joy on repeat.

"Alright, oh, is Vanessa going to be there? I owe her four bucks from our bet last week."

Otis raises his eyebrows and opens the front door, "what were you two betting on this time?"

Moving through and closing the door, I laugh as I admit, "that we'd be late this week."

"That's your fault, Bro."

"I know, I know." I lock the door, and we were heading through the hallways of our complex, making our way to the staircase and through the lobby, out the front doors. "Are you ready?"

Shouldering his guitar case further up his back, Otis replies, "you know me, I'm always ready. And if not I'll wing it."

That checks out, Otis is one of the most 'go with the flow' kind of guys I've ever met.

Seattle is a beautiful city, my favorite of all the ones I've been to. The streets are always packed with people living their own lives on a Friday night.

It's February, so there isn't any snow left in the gutters of the streets or packed against the bottoms of the buildings.

It's sort of chilly, my favorite Seattle crew neck doing only an okay job at keeping me warm while cold breezes rush through the city, somehow bypassing the many buildings.

I love the city, it is one of my favorite places, and I love the people in it. There's nowhere I'd rather be.

That was one of the main reasons I picked to study political science. I want to help people, and I can't think of a better way to do that other than make the laws and policies that protect them.