Part 10

Assembly turned out to be the best assembly I have witnessed. Chris and Riley sang for the school. It was an acoustic version of one of their songs. While I was sitting in my grade, the students around me were smiling and seemed to be enjoying the performance. After their performance, the students were allowed to ask the two guys questions. I didn't ask any questions because I didn't know the band well enough to ask questions.

I couldn't but notice Chris kept looking in my direction. I deduced I was just imagining things. He may have stood up for me, but that doesn't mean he somehow likes me now. ***

It has been a week since I have seen Riley and Chris, and a lot has happened since then.

I was surprised when I received a text message from Chris. We were chatting to each other...sort of. We greeted each other and wished each other a good day. Chris did ask me every day if those girls were being mean again.

I have received an e-mail from Riley, discussing the decorations and sharing ideas about the party.

After I finished my test – which we had every Friday – my teacher told my friend and I that we could go to the cafeteria because she didn't want us to disturb the rest of the students who were still completing their test.

My friend wanted to read an intriguing book she was interested in outside on the field. The cafeteria was empty. The cooks and cleaners were now even in the cafeteria yet. I didn't mind eating alone.

I sat there in the still silence thinking about next weekend and how exciting it is going to be to decorate for Riley's sister. She was his younger sibling – much younger I might add. She is going to be 13 years old. She will be entering her teen years.

We will be going to purchase the decorations the day before the party. Riley told me he wants this party to be a big surprise for his sister. I take out my notepad and pen and jot down another idea I have for the birthday party.

I suddenly hear noises coming closer to the cafeteria. I looked up at the entrance and in came Riley and Chris. What the heck are they doing here? AGAIN? Are they performing again at the Assembly?

I immediately turn to look out the window, hoping they will not notice me. Sadly, there is only one person in this place...and that is me.

I hear footsteps and the door creaking open. Did they run out?

"Gaby! Hi!" Riley beams.

I try to cover my face, but it does not help. It is not that I don't want to talk to him; I just wanted to be in here on my own. I like the silence.

"Hello." I respond, plastering a smile on my face. I look to see Chris is nowhere in sight.

"Are you alone?" I ask stupidly.

Riley laughs. "No. Chris is here too. He just forgot something in the car."

Riley's facial expression suddenly changes to worry. His brows crease and he pulls his lips into a hard line. It looks as if he is studying me.

"Why are you looking at me like that? It's kind of creeping me out." I say slowly.

Riley shakes his head. "Sorry! I didn't mean to. It is just...there is something I really have to tell you." His face looks serious now, "Before Chris comes back." He adds.

"Uhm...Ok..." I say, sounding confused.

There was silence for a few seconds, and then Riley takes in a sharp breath. "It's Chris! There's something you need to know about him."

"What is it?" I ask.

Riley looks at me and says nothing.

"Riley, what the heck is it? Chris will be back soon?" I say, knowing that I don't even know if Chris will be back soon. How would I know? I am interested to hear what Riley has to tell me.

Riley closes his eyes and exhales. My brows crease together.

Riley opens his eyes. "Chris...likes you Gaby. I mean he really likes you." He declares.