Chapter One- Close Calls and Relief

And there's no one to love you when you build /

Your walls/ Too high/

~~~

Somewhere in California, the youngest Black child was dying. Or at least, that's what she thought.

It had never been this bad before; Isabelle had been beaten, mentally abused, but that was nothing, nothing compared to this. This agony.

Somehow, in her half-conscious state, she managed to yell. Apparently loud enough for her neighbor to come to her rescue. She could barely remember it.

~~~

*TRIGGER WARNING*

Flashback:

"MOM!" Isabelle screamed.

"You need to listen to me next time," Alexis smiled a sinister smile. She picked up a lamp and threw it at her daughter.

"No, mom, please," Isabelle begged.

Alexis just smiled and picked up more objects to throw at her daughter.

"NO!" Isabelle screamed again, louder. Alexis grabbed Izzy's neck and effectively shut her up.

But the damage was done, and a few minutes later, a nearby neighbor heard, and called the police. By this time, Isabelle was unconscious and losing blood fast.

"Arrest the woman, and get the girl an ambulance," an officer commanded.

End of Flashback:

*END OF TRIGGER*

~~~~

"Atlas?" Carlos, Atlas's best friend, and his business manager stepped into Atlas's office.

"Yes?" It had been a long day, and Atlas couldn't wait to get home and rest.

"They... they found Isabelle," Atlas jumped out of his chair, all traces of tiredness gone.

"What?"

"They found her... but..." 

"Spit it out," Atlas growled.

"Atlas, she's unconscious, and we don't know if she'll wake up,"

~~~~

"This way," The nurse ushered the Black family into Isabelle's room.

"What happened?" Atlas asked.

"Her mother beat her up pretty bad; she has a broken leg, a concussion, and is unconscious. She has various bruises and cuts, and signs show that this has been going on for years,"

Atlas stayed quiet.

"Push that button if anything changes," The nurse turned to leave.

"Thank you," Kayla said quickly, realizing her brothers weren't going to say anything.

"Lizzie?" Atlas pleaded, begging his little sister to wake up.

~~~~~

Three Days Later

"Atlas, you haven't slept in three days. You need sleep," River advised his older brother.

"I can't," Atlas replied. River just gave up and started pacing around again.

"Lord, you're driving me insane," Kayla complained.

"We need something to do," Atlas said.

Kayla looked at her sister. Her eyes traveled to the nightstand by Isabelle.