Chapter 4 - Wake of Loss

Yona of the Dawn Anime: Episode 3-4

Word Count: 2,500+ words

"Don't you die on me, Jang-mi...!"

The handmaiden felt someone's arm wrapped over her back when she opened her eyes for a brief moment after hearing Hak's voice; all she saw was cobblestone. She could feel the blood rushing to her head among other places... was she upside down...? Am I... being carried?

Then, she was handed to someone else. Their arms carefully held her, an arm hooking under her knees while another braced against her back. When her head lolled back, her dull red eyes slowly made out a familiar face. Min-soo...? Why do you... look so... scared?

"Jang-mi, please, hold on! You have to!"His green irises almost looked blue from the tears that pricked the corners of his eyes. "Stay awake!"

So... tired... However, her eyes rolled back and shut again, feeling the sensation of blood spattering upon her face before she blacked out again. So... dizzy...

"Jang-mi!!"

...

"J-Jang-mi..."

Yona...?

"Be careful. We can't move her too much like this. She may already be in worse condition from how much we ran around with her at the castle."

Hak...?

When Jang-mi stirred again, she felt something tighten around her abdomen. She could also feel a breeze on her legs.. and it felt like she was leaning on a tree. No matter how hard she tried, though, she couldn't peel her eyes open.

Why... is my body... so heavy? She wondered, feeling someone steadily lift her up, an arm bracing against her back while another arm hooked under her knees again.

I can't... feel my... Again, darkness encroached on her vision until her consciousness faded away again.

...

"This is a serious injury... she's lucky to have survived this long."

Where...?

"I can tell the injury is bad, but will she make it!?"

I hear... Hak?

"We can do what we can, but this is really going to be up to chance. If the wound has been tended immediately after the sword was pulled out... our chances would be better."

What's... going on?

"Dammit...!!"

Jang-mi groaned painfully, causing the two who'd been speaking on either side of her to gasp. When she felt someone's hand rest on her forehead, the girl finally found the strength to open her eyes. At first, everything was a blur of color, but soon she could make out Hak's silhouette leaning over her. "Hak...?"

"Jang-mi...!"The Wind General breathed, his tense shoulders relaxing somewhat. Still, the look on his face was very strange to the handmaiden... frantic, knots. It didn't suit him.

"This is a good sign... you said she's been unconscious for three days?"An unfamiliar man asked the General. A... Doctor? She could only assume based on what she'd heard moments ago. What happened? He mentioned... a sword?

"About that long... she's been in and out, but she'd never stay conscious for long..."Hak nodded, noting Jang-mi's look of confusion. Of course, she'd be disoriented... he needed to fill her in.