THE TRUTH UNTOLD PT. 2

I had rented a hotel room in The Grand Hotel. It was 30 mins away from Father Oliver's residence. When I heard that the former priest was sick, I packed my bags and paid him a visit.

Probably, it was old age that made me reminisced. The old priest was A' Han's confidant. He was like a father figure for him. He would know what the other boy was thinking and feeling all those years ago.

"I'm glad I get to see you before I die." Father Oliver coaxed me to take the chair in front of him. He asked me what I want to eat or drink. As I answered the older man looked at me with a smile. I smiled back

Looking at him, I took note of the changes time had done. Gray locks frames his face. Crow's feet adorned his blue eyes. I remembered how the old man plays the clarinet. He used to play the instrument beautifully everyday but now seems like he was drowning by just merely breathing .

"Have you heard from Chang Jia Han? " Father Oliver asked.

"We've had no contact over the years." I smiled sadly.

An eyebrow shot up.

"I heard he doesn't attend reunions and no one's in contact with him." He continued. "You know we talked about you a lot, yeah?"

"Hmn,"

"He was so sure that you cared for him, that you also like him."

"I did."

"Then why didn't you tell him?"

"I-- ," I was lost for words. I wanted to say that I love him, that I am more than willing to lay my life for him. I wanted to say that I was protecting Chang Jia Han but I can't voice it out. It was a bullshit excuse.

"I was trying to sway him from liking you. I don't want him to feel the pain I did and yet the more I swayed him, he was more adamant about his feelings." Father continued.

"I just want him to accept me. Those were his exact words. When I left the school and went back here to Montreal his words haunted me. How can loving someone wrong?" He scoffed.

How can loving someone wrong? He smiled bitterly and pictured a boy kneeling, praying.

*******
Chiang Jia Han was kneeling and praying earnestly to God. Knowing that he's the cause of A' Han's restless heart, he masked his uneasiness by mocking him in prayers.

He was praying nonsense. Chang Jia Han got pissed. Two black orbs eyed him intently. A'Han walked towards him. His heart leaped.

"Are you mocking me?"

He didn't respond and just smile sheepishly.

"You're Lame!" A'Han was about to leave but he grabbed his arm.

" Why don't you stop hanging out with me alone? We can still be good friends. Why don't I introduce you to a girl?" He asked, still holding that facade of nonchalance.

This fueled A' Han's anger. Two hands grabbed his face. They were trembling but one can't mistake the strength in them. He wanted to peel them away but the other boy held on tight.

Their eyes locked. His was mocking, playful while Chang Jia Han's was hurt.

"Just lend me your scooter. I will date Ban Ban tonight." He asked shamelessly.

Chang Jia Han pushed him hard then walked out. He watched his back sadly and can't help but sigh.

******