CHAPTER EIGHT

Lacey woke to the quiet pattering of rain, a sky full of stars being washed over by the dark, heavy clouds rolling over, and hushed voices going back and forth near her. Her head was pounding as if she'd been smacked round the back of it with a shovel, the pain so substantial she lay still squinting up at the dimly lit ceiling taking calming breaths, not quite ready to sit up and face the dizziness she knew would follow. She blinked slowly a few more times before she crept her hands up to the side of her and planted them firmly on the soft bed she'd been laid on, using the little strength she had in her to ease up to see who's voices were nattering away.

The moment she sat up though, slightly wavering when the expected dizziness slammed into her like a battering ram, the voices ceased, and her eyes found the people they belonged to as all their hazy looking faces stared at her.

"You're awake" she heard a voice, a deep voice, the unnerved breath coming from whom she stared at having her furrow her eyebrows questioningly "how're you feeling?"

"I-" she started, but once the fuzziness that blurred their features faded away, seeing that the deep voice belonged to Jasper and everyone else looked to her with concerned and wary stares, her eyebrows somehow managed to furrow further "what happened?"

"You went full psycho" Tyler glowered "that's what happened."

"What's the last thing you remember?" Jackson asked her after giving Tyler a quick glare and shake of his head, but she took note of the way he stood, how he was prepared to be attacked.

"I- I don't know" she shook her head, regretting it the moment she did it as she winced at the pain of her still pounding head giving a twinge "I remember slipping, and then this- this pain I can't even describe, and then, nothing."

"How do you feel?" a softer voice asked, and she turned to Clara who watched her with a stiff smile, but a smile nonetheless.

"Not great" she muttered, taking to attempting to throw her legs over the sides of the bed to try and get up, but before she could even get a foot off someone was at her side and stopping her, a very large hand taking hold of her leg.

"You need to stay here and rest" Jasper's voice caressed her, the sound sending distressingly pleasurable tingles up her spine despite the fact his voice was so hard and guttural "you're in no state to be moving around."

"You don't get to tell me what to do" she scowled up at him, ignoring the way his voice made her feel, not entirely understanding what it was it made her feel.

His grip tightened on her leg and his eyes somehow managed to harden "you need to stay in this bed for at least another day, just so you can rest a little more so I won't have to follow you round, you'll most likely be falling over every five seconds like a toddler learning to walk."

She continued to scowl up at him for a second longer, his eyes never wavering, until she snatched her leg back and took a moment to shuffle up the bed and prop the pillows up behind her. They all continued to stare at her, and even though it made her mighty uncomfortable, she pushed through it as the curiosity as to what had happened to evoke all these concerned and cautious stares crept up on her.

"What happened then?" She asked, worry slowly starting to gnaw away at her the moment she realised she may have done something, the worry then flooding her system completely when she saw the lack of people around her "wheres Alice and Maya?"

Looks amongst them all were exchanged, and the sinking feeling in her chest was too much to ignore and her face fell "did I- did I do something to them?"

"Maya's fine" Jasper told her, his voice calm, but she could somehow tell that it was only for her benefit he kept it that way "she wasn't near when it happened."