Don't Play with Guns

*trigger warning: blood/injury*

Billy was walking down the street in his 12 year old form when he suddenly heard the sound of a fight coming from an alley. He was about to say the word, 'Shazam', and transform into Captain Marvel, when he heard his best friends voice.

"C'mon guys just give it back," he heard Freddy Freeman say. Freddy was a year older than Billy, and also grew up in foster care like Billy. Only difference was, that while Billy had chosen to run away and live on the streets, Freddy had chosen to stay in foster care, and had actually found himself a pretty good foster home. None the less, the two were friends.

Billy raced around the corner and took the scene in. Freddy was standing inbetween two other boys, several years older than him. One of them held Freddy's school bag up high in the air.

The teen that was holding Freddy's backpack sneered, "you want it back, why don't you jump up and get it."

Both teens laughed at this joke, clearly mocking Freddy for his limp.

"Hey! Give him the backpack," shouted Billy, revealing himself.

"Oh yeah, why don't you make me give it back," teased the older boy.

Billy raced forward, fists raised and ready to get beat to a pulp in defence of his best friend. Billy swung at the older boy but missed his target, sending him flying past as the teen dodged the blow. The other boy jumped in and delivered a right hook to Billy's cheek. Billy tumbled to the ground, but leaped right back up, placing himself between Freddy and the two bullies. Billy stood in a ready stance and without turning around, shouted to his friend, "get out of here, Freddy! I'll take care of them!"

The teens laughed. "I'm not leaving you here alone, Billy!" Said Freddy. "They'll beat you black and blue."

"It's fine, Freddy, just go!" Billy shouted one last time. Freddy hesitated for a moment, but finally turned around and sped away from the scene as fast as he could, intending to find the nearest responsible adult.

As soon as Freddy was gone, the three boys left broke into a 2 vs 1 fight, Billy clearly taking the brunt of the punches.

After several long seconds of fighting, the teens stepped back to take a breath. Billy was a lot tougher than he looked, and it would take more than a few punches to take him down.

Suddenly, one the teens reached behind his back and pulled out a gun from the back of his belt. He waved it around, sneering at Billy's shocked face.

"Not so tough now, hey kid!" The teen with the gun said.

The other teen looked panicked at his friend, "what the hell man?! Where did you get the gun?!"

"Oh come on, I'm just using it for a little intimidation."

"I didn't agree to anything this drastic!"

Billy took a small step back while the two teens were arguing. Unfortunately, the teen with the gun noticed Billy's movements.

"Where the hell do you think you're going, brat?!" He pointed the gun at Billy, a crazed smile on his face. The other teen, clearly troubled by his friends use of the gun, lunged forward and made a grab for the gun.

The two struggled a moment over the weapon.

*BANG*

Silence. White hot silence. The first thing Billy processed was the frozen faces of the two teens. Then he saw them turn and run away. 'Ha! Serves them right!' He thought.

Pain. Red hot pain. Billy looked down to see a deep red blooming quickly on his white t-shirt. He was confused. What had happened? How did that get there? His reflexes took over, his hands rushing towards his stomach desperate to pull the blood back into his body. Tears began to flow down his cheeks and he stumbled. A small whimper escaped his lips.