Chapter 4

As much as these questions tottered in his mind, he ignored them, pushing them down. Without another thought, he popped the candy into his mouth and licked the edge of it.

A sudden sweetness overwhelmed his taste buds. It was indescribable and thrilling in every way. A waterfall of flavors burst at the same time. All were familiar.

Everything he had ever known was there. Each wonderful moment in his small life. Every taste he loved—the butterscotch he tasted with his brother, the sweetbreads the woman next door made. Each one belonged to Benji and only to him.

He moved the candy around in his mouth with his tongue, tasting a new flavor each time, it moved. It shifted, changing into one he never had the privilege to taste before. He salivated widely, drooling, flicking his tongue over the candy to try and place the taste. He slurped rudely, forgetting the man was even there...

Watching him, his own eyes flickering. The smile stayed dormant.

Then Benji saw it.

He was flying.

High above all others— over buildings and trees. On his back were white wings speckled with ebony, spanning nine feet wide.

As he flew, the lights of the city welcomed him before they were covered by the grey clouds.

Each push of his wings sent a euphoric sensation throughout his entire body. The rush of adrenaline made it so real.

He was flying.

He was really flying.

Till he fell back down to Earth.

Benji's eyes opened and realized he was back in the candy shop with the man. He shook his head in confusion.

The man leaned over, roaring in laughter. "Every dream is special," he affirmed, nodding to himself proudly, still smiling with horrid, jagged teeth.

Benji stared at the man in utter amazement, still letting the image of the dream race over and over in his mind. His beautiful wings, the city lights, the breeze on his face... It was all so real.

"I was flying," he said in disbelief, trying to remember the moment over and over. He repeated the words to himself as the lights faded from his memory.

"Curious. Flying means you seek a sense of freedom," the man declared, nodding to himself, not daring to explain what he meant.

"How did you do that?" Benji asked, disregarding what the man said.

Wonder overwhelmed him as he tried to remember the sweet taste the candy brought to him.

"I can show you how," he replied, his wicked smile still out to play. "If you want to know."

He walked away, not gesturing for him to follow and he did not need to. Benji was drawn to the man, and he immediately followed without needing a gesture. He didn't need convincing, he just wanted to feel the euphoria he felt when he had finally dreamed.

Following his steps, like a lost puppy after his mother, they entered the small hall with a metal door at the end. Benji stared at it, picturing the creature once more. Something nagged at him, but he ignored it, hearing the words ring in his head as it begged him over and over.

Don't.

Through the dimmed corridor, a keypad was placed next to the door, paired with a lock positioned over the knob.

The man fished the keys out of his pocket, leaned in, and stuck a silver key into the large, bronzed lock. He typed in a number on the lock pad and opened the door. It creaked, revealing a set of dark wooden steps.

Benji replayed the number in his mind. He knew he may need it again in the future and did not want to forget how to get down here to indulge on the wonders the candies brought.

'0302'

The man walked forward, flickering on a switch. The lights ignited on the side of the brick wall, lighting the passage leading down to the basement. Benji looked over to the man, peering down the stairs to see where they led, but it was hard to tell.

He was curious.

So much it burned deep inside of him.

He let out a disappointed huff, catching the man's attention. The man turned around, facing Benji, holding onto the metal door with a stiff hand. He lifted a brow and asked him a question he did not have the answer to.

"Do you not want to see how I make dreams come true?" he hissed, his voice cold and vacant. His grin turned into a daunting frown, stretching down his face for miles.

He was caught off guard by the mysterious man and jolted, surprised by his tone. He hesitated, thinking before speaking—which was a rare thing for him to do.

Opening his mouth, he was careful not to offend the man. "I need to go to school," he explained, but quickly added, "maybe another day!"

This piqued the man's interest.

A grin, larger than the first, spread across his face like the shadows playing on the walls. He slammed the door shut, startling Benji. Then, took the key out from the latch and placed the ring back into his pocket.

Whatever was down there, now had Benji's attention, and it was the only thing he focused on.

He scarcely heard the man as he spoke, "You'll come back?" he asked, his voice rising with his brow.

As they stepped into the light of the store the man's eyes turned hauntingly black. Though it was only for a moment, it sent a sense of uneasiness through Benji.

The words slipped from him and he did not get a chance to catch them. "Of course."

He stood there; a normal smile placed as he reached out a pale hand toward him. He waited patiently for Benji to return the favor, and when he did, he sealed his fate.

Through the ongoing handshake, he knew he had made a mistake.

Panicked, Benji retracted his hand as he felt the coldness of the man's flesh against his. The same chill coursed down his arm and lingered in the joint of his elbow. His dream had returned, distracting his thoughts.

Benji stood there idling in the silence. Clearing his throat, he shook his head. Awkwardly, he waved his hand to the man, while he left the shop. A cold hand touched his shoulder, forbidding him to take another step. He stopped instantly, turned around, and gulped, afraid.

"What is your name, son?" the shopkeeper asked, curiously.

He thought about this for a moment, and in seeing no harm in the question, he answered honestly, giving the man his true name. "Benji."

The man released his hold on him and stood upright, adjusting his vest. He bowed lightly, pressing his hand to his chest. When he arose, he looked at Benji, and stated dramatically, "I am called 'The Dream-Maker', pleased to meet you, Benji."

He nodded to the man, and turned with haste, pressing his hands to the glass door. It swung open, letting the bell toll as the door closed. Finally, he was released from the man's presence. Relief rushed over him as his shoulders relaxed.