Chapter 6

When his eyes peeled open for the third time, he found himself in a familiar, yet strange place. It was like the nightmare he was trapped in last night. The light fixture on the wall of the dark hall was still there and the same series of metal doors shined with the luminescence of the faint light.

The more Benji tried to remember where he was, he couldn't. He was forgetting. The first nightmare from the night before became a faded memory.

Jaded, he walked forward, not prepared for what was to come because he did not know anymore. Through the blackness, Benji stepped in front of one of the metal doors. It drew him in, calling to him like they were old friends. A silver keypad was placed on the side of the door―one similar to the keypad in The Dream-Maker's shop.

He knew the code still. The numbers filed through his mind as he recalled them.

'0302'

The pads of his fingers touched the door, and Benji felt it's a cool touch. Startled, he heard the low growl sounding from behind him. Benji hesitated, his fingers still attached to the door. His heart pounded as his brain registered the noise. He swore he heard it before.

Once the sound disappeared, he shrugged, not paying it any mind as he continued to marvel at the large metal door. His fingers caressed the buttons on the keypad as he typed in the first number.

The growl reverberated once more—this time louder—causing Benji to turn. Panic churned inside of him, sending him into flight as he ran down the corridor, away from the sound and away from the door.

When the noise ceased, he felt he was safe. He stopped, turned, and looked to see a monster standing steps behind him. Its skin was a chilling grey and cracked like the lines on the sidewalk.

Then, he remembered...this happened before.

He tried to run once more but was stuck to the cement floor. The more he attempted to move, the more he was unable to. The creature moved closer, latching its clawed hands onto the wall as it limped toward Benji desperately.

He thought it was the end for him once more.

Then, he disappeared.

Memories rushed back and he remembered he was at school. He thought about Mrs. Sander's horrid black eyes and unsettling smile. One like the bakery owner and of course, The Dream-Maker.

He was stuck in darkness. A strained sound of static filled his ears but was soon replaced.

"He has a fever," a woman said, taking him away from his nightmare.

"Will he wake up?" another said, and he recognized the voice to be his mother.

"Mom?" he questioned weakly. His voice ached as he spoke.

"Benji, baby," she exclaimed, drawing her arms around him, and pulled him into her chest. "You are awake! Are you okay?"

The warmth caused him to open his eyes, and he saw his tired mother through the hold of her embrace.

Underneath her sad eyes were tiresome bags dulling her irises grey. She was smiling faintly, something he had not seen in so long. Tears stained her cheeks, and she wiped them away with the back of her free hand.

"I'm fine, Mom," he said, sitting up, escaping out of his mother's grasp and pushed her away.

She nodded, letting him completely free himself, before responding. "I'm sorry, I was worried. They said you fainted in class and—" she paused, shaking her head, not daring to meet his eye. "It doesn't matter, what matters is you are okay now."