chapter five: when harry is exhausted.

I watch as Niall takes a bite of his desert, wondering for the tenth time if I should just give in and go buy one. It's a rare occurrence - the hospital's cafeteria having good deserts - and it had to happen today, of all days. The 1st of November - also known as the St. Paul's Annual Fundraising Gala day. Or, if we're being precise, night.

"Just go buy a damn pudding, Lo." Niall breaks the silence, probably fed up of my pouting. The fool is laid back on his chair, making a point to take the smallest pieces he possibly can, all to taunt me for longer.

"Told you I can't." I moan, watching as he takes the spoon to his mouth yet again. He closes his eyes for emphasis and I lean forward in my chair to hit his arm. "Stop tempting me! I told you I have to fit into the tightest dress tonight - show some compassion!"

Niall has the audacity to laugh. "If it fitted this morning, it'll fit tonight. Pudding or not."

"I wouldn't be so sure," I shake my head. "It was pretty tight."

"Then maybe you should change dresses." He rolls his blue eyes, another full spoon on the way to his mouth. Maybe I should take his damn pudding and put it in the trash.

"'M not doing that. I searched for a long time for a dress this pretty."

A suggestive look clouds his face and I brace for what's to come. "Who you tryin' to impress?"

"The entirety of this Hospital." I reply, a smirk forming on my lips. "You do know it's an important event, right? Black tie and all?"

"I do know, dear Loren." It doesn't pass through me his tone is nothing but mocking. "My suit is taken care of."

"Good. My father has been working on this Gala for months, the least you could do is wear a nice suit."

As a reply, he makes a point to close his eyes with a moan when he tastes yet another full spoon of pudding. I lose it.

"I swear to God I'm going to take it away from you!" I huff, aiming for the plastic bowl. "You have no mercy!"

It's a fortunate thing we grabbed a late lunch today, as we look like two children playing at lunch time. I take full blame for that, as I was the first one to reach. But, as an eternal kid, Niall chooses to have a little of fun with it - showing me I can't go against him, not even by trying to take a damn bowl from him.

After three failed attempts, I settle back on my chair and accept I just have to watch him eat the damn thing for the next half an hour.

"I should go have a conversation with your attending for that." Niall mumbles, clearly touching where it hurts the most. "It clearly showed disrespect for a superior."

"Not fair." I pout, though I recognize he's only joking. "Don't give him a reason to kick me out!"

Niall raises a brow, breaking the act. "You can't complain, can you, Dr. It's-Been-A-Month?"

I crack a smile, recalling my moment of euphoria earlier this week. I even brought Niall and Margareth cupcakes to celebrate. "It was a very important mark, alright?"

"I know it was." He smiles. "And speaking of the devil..." Niall says as he focuses on something behind me.

I turn to find Harry walking into the cafeteria.

It shouldn't surprise me anymore, how my body reacts when I see him. I have to admit he always had some sort of pull over me, even with our strange relationship. But lately? It's something else. My skin twinkles when his hand touches mine while we work side by side, my mouth waters when I take a peek at his tattoos (which I've been actively looking for since I discovered that first one) and I thought I was going into cardiac arrest when he put some reading glasses on one particular night.