chapter four |playing house

ZK POV

I follow eric out of the cage area and out to his truck. We move in silence but I feel comfortable around the man and knew I'd be safe in his house. I slid in the shotgun seat as he throws his backpack into the back. The lieutenant commander turns of some soft country music as his truck pulls out into the cold January night, almost similar to a year ago as I sat in his wife jeep. Same hurt child, same weather and yet another blackburn coming to my rescue . Nothing is said as we pull in front of the house but this time we don't pull into the garage as we walk up the front steps. Just like last year, gracie blackburn runs out of the house. Her hair in braids, identical to mine and she's sports a toothless smile. She's slightly taller than last time but wearing similar clothes as the last time I saw her. They include a NAVY academy baseball long sleeve and green plaid pajama pants this time instead of pink. Her dad easily picks her up before her toes touch the soon to be icy front walk of the house. "Gracie you remember Zoë, right ? She's one of momma's kids and is gonna be spending the night tonight." The young girl curiously looks me up and down before the information sets in "Does she need booboo bear again." I smile softly at that memory, especially after everything that happened that night. Even out of her uncles coming and the impromptu medical care that was preformed on me the young girl held on to the idea that her booboo bear could cure anything. Her juvenile belief was something that I could only long for, but unlike before her dad manages to stop her before she runs off again. "Your Uncle Trent helped her last night so no booboo bear, but do you wanna hold Zoe's hand while I clean her stitches up?" The girl seemed content that she could still help, and that holding my hand would make her feel important in the process. We were brought out of both the conversation and outdoors as Hannah appears at the door wearing a flowery apron and smile "Gracie go run upstairs to clean up for dinner. You will have plenty of time with Poppa and Zoë later." The young girl slithered our of her dads arms and scampered inside as I followed the commander inside, quietly shutting the door behind me. The house exuded warmth as a faint fire was going in the fire place and the smell of a home cooked meal filled the kitchen area. "I made chicken alfredo for dinner, and there's some rolls in the oven. There's some salad too." The smell of the food was incredible and my stomach growled but deep inside such rich food would make me vomit. I wasn't going to say anything to Hannah though as she worked so hard to make this dinner and I'd rather suffer a sick stomach later than make her upset or for that matter embarrass myself. I throw my backpack onto a chair and sit once again on the couch as I think back to that incident less almost a year ago.

Flashback

The couch was comfortable as I sink into it, still holding my hand to my bloody head. The crimson color slowly yet surely stained my hand as hannah came over with some paper towels. I gladly took them and held them up to my head wound which wasn't deep enough to hurt me last night but now the shocks worn off and the beanie surprisingly acted as a bandage for it to stem the bleeding. I thank hannah softly without saying anything and she gently rubs my back. Shortly her husband comes back carrying a large camo backpack which he seemed to grab from the garage. He digs through it eventually pulling out a smaller backpack from inside that had a Red Cross on it. I see him wispher to hannah as I softly closed my eyes trying to avoid the fear that plagued my mind.

I'm pulled from my thoughts as a bouncy six year old scampers down the stairs and throws herself on the couch smiling as she does. She tries to take the tv remote but hannahs voice rings out "Gracie Nadine you know the rules. No tv before dinner." The young girl crosses her arms before looking at me intensely. Before she can speak the commander comes down changed into even more causal clothes of jeans and a red university of Wisconsin sweatshirt that no doubtly, Hannah a two time alum of the school got him. He looks at his youngest child "can you help your mom set the table?" She scampers off leaving me alone with the lieutenant commander who was now sipping a glass of wine. His ease and the light attitude around me somehow made me uncomfortable, like I was apart of people playing house. It felt weird but maybe it was because I wasn't used to be at home, or feeling safe for that matter. No matter how uncomfortable or weird I felt, I always felt safe at the Blackburn's house and that's the most important thing to me. I've been in to many dangerous situations in my life to care about many things but if I could be safe than I could get close to people. That's why I was never close to anyone before, besides Kansas or Charity. I never felt safe around anyone but them before. The commander looked at me for a moment before speaking "you okay, Zoë Kai?" I realized I had dazed off cornering him as I stared into space. I smile softly "yeah I'm good, does Hannah need help." He smiles softly back at me "with Gracie she'll be okay. After dinner, Hannah and I need to discuss with you some of the more tedious points of your bravo team agreement. Before bed I'll replace your butterfly stitches on your face and clean your arm wounds." I nod my head not having much say in anything at this point letting silence consume us the rest of the time before Gracie scampered into the room announcing dinner. I follow the young girl into the kitchen to the less formal sitting area where four place setting were. mine was between the commander and Gracie, which would make for a rather interesting dinner. Unlike the others my plate didn't have fettuccine, which instantly shocked me. instead it had plain butter noodles with small chicken pieces separate and a tiny salad with no dressing, hannah made me a whole separate dinner. my checks grow red in embarrassment since she went to all this effort for me. Hannah must have sensed my discomfort before she gently grabbed my hand "don't worry about it, Zo. I cook the noddles and chicken separate before adding both into the sauce so I just saved some for you to eat." With Gracie right there she didn't deleve into why I wasn't eating their dinner but provided a good enough explanation to me leaving only a small amount of guilt inside.