Part Three

(Final part. I did say this was short. Again if you notice any spelling/grammar issues please tell me)

Rue had no idea what time it was when she woke up. The snow made it blinding bright outside. Trying to see took her a while to adjust to the light. Sable wasn't next to her. Just the blanket and his coat left behind. But somehow it was warm inside the small space. And the entire mattress was covered in some sort of white animal fur she was certain hadn't been there the night before. Deciding to ignore the odd fur issue she got up and placed her boots back on. Creeping out into the cold she paused and looked at the box in the front to look through some old photos. Hundreds had been left behind. Most dating back ten years. Now teens didn't leave photos as often because they just posted the photos of social media. Rue found one of herself and the girl she wanted to marry before they had started to date. It gave her some sort of comfort that the photo was still there.

She had been looking through the box and seeing old friends in her mind for a while before a sound outside caught her attention. Placing the box back in its spot carefully she went to the RV door and peeked outside.

The fresh snow had covered the entire world a sparkling white. Seeing the trees covered and glittering in the sunlight was so breath taking she almost didn't notice the tracks scattered around out front. They were similar to when her mother let out the family dog to run in the snow. Looking around she saw Sable piling up snow with his bare hands only to smash his entire body into the pile he made.

"Aren't you cold?" Rue called out to him.

Startled by her voice and by the fact he was caught playing in such low temperatures and without enough clothing to stay alive for too long he dramatically started to rub his arms and shake.

"Oh no. I got lost trying to find a place to go to the bathroom. Oh, heaven's me. What ever shall I do? Let us start a fire and-"

"I know you're not human."

"You're not supposed to just come right out and say IT. I'm trying very hard to be mysterious!" Sable shouted back and huffed dragging his legs through the ankle-deep snow.

"If you want to keep playing, I'll pretend like I didn't see anything."

A long pause came between the two of them. Slowly Sable bent over to start making another snow pile to crash into. Rue guessed that was his answer. She was glad to leave him alone so she could try and sleep for an hour so somewhere warm.

When Sable finally came back inside his hair was a mess and he was dripping with snow.

"Are you ready to leave?" he asked trying to brush himself off a little.

Bundling up again Rue took one last look at the comfort and warmth of the RV then followed the strange tall man outside.

The blinding snow made it nearly impossible to see. It might know be up to Sable's ankles in placed but it was halfway to Rue's knees making her push and not see branches she often tripped on only to have her friend pull her back up by the back of her coat. At their pace it would take them days to reach her grandmother's place.

But another issue arose.

"I'm not sure where we are." Rue finally admitted.

The path looked so different covered in white. Any other season she had no issue following the same route to get to her grandmother's place but now she found herself lost so quickly. She felt panicked but Sable didn't look worried in the slightest.

"Come on then. I can carry you there."

He walked around and in front of her. Getting down he bent over offering to give her a piggy back ride. Again, she felt guilty but there wasn't anything she could do. At her current speed they would freeze to death before arriving somewhere warm. They had eaten the last of their food the night before so waiting until the snow melted wasn't an option.