Part 7

Nat hadn't spoken to Brock since that game. He'd gone over to the house, actually walking up to the door, and asked to see her on a few occasions. She turned him away every time. She knew she was a hypocrite for getting as angry as she did, knowing she wouldn't have cared had he attacked any other player on the team. It didn't matter, though. She was actually pleased she was rid of him, much to her own surprise. More than anything, she was relieved that no one saw anything at the game. Still, she didn't relax; she couldn't. Not only would there be other games, but she knew it would only be a matter of time before someone ran into you. It was a small town, after all, at least compared to New York. All she could hope for was that no one recognized you when they did.

The only bad thing about breaking up with Brock was that now she was back at square one; no boyfriend, no friends, and nothing to do. She considered pursuing something with Clint, but it seemed to her that every time they spoke, it was because she initiated it.

Word spreads fast in school, so she knew everyone knew she had left her old group of friends behind, yet no one stepped up to try to befriend her. She thought for sure Clint would, but he didn't. At first she thought maybe it was because he was Brock's teammate, and it would complicate things or cause problems amongst the team, but it looked like Brock was getting the same treatment. It shocked her, as she didn't think his usual crowd could ever do anything but worship the ground he walked on. She didn't care, though. Brock was no longer her concern.

For the first time in a long time, Nat didn't want distractions. She wanted something real. It hit her when she saw not only the concern of your teammates, but the concern of some of the academy's players, too. She saw how T'Challa had commanded his players to back off when Derek beat Brock, and when Clint actually spoke to you, making sure you were ok. It made her realize just how lonely she really was.

She didn't understand it until she saw Derek, though. He was even angrier than she was when Brock tackled you, and Clint's words came flooding back to her.

When you see them together, you'll know.

The relief on his face when he realized you weren't hurt morphed into pure adoration. As he looked you over, needing to be sure you were alright, her own heart broke at having never seen that look on Brock's, or anyone's, face. Whatever Derek was, whatever he did or whatever facade he put up, it's not who he was when he was with you. Meanwhile, she never dropped hers in front of anyone. No one had ever made her feel the way you seemed to make each other feel.

Now she'd seen you together, and she knew.

She never stood a chance.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

As much as Peter missed his friends and his old hangouts, he was starting to love his new home. He had a smart, beautiful girlfriend, an awesome car, and little to no city traffic to prevent him from enjoying it when the time came.

He was in the driveway again, listening to the radio in his 'new' Chevelle. It was about the only thing that worked in the old car, but that was the way he wanted it. Sometimes the twins would join him, making engine sounds and pretending they were on a trip. Other times, he'd end his dates with Shuri there, talking until it was time for her to go home.

The sun had just set, and the light was quickly diminishing. Her brother was due to pick her up any minute, so they sat in the car, relishing the last few moments they had together. They were speaking animatedly about their plans for spring break, which Steve had surprised them with a trip to the southern part of the state, and invited Shuri to come along. She had squealed that she'd always wanted to go to Disneyland.

A yellow car sped by, and Shuri pursed her lips at the gleam in Peter's eye as he watched it shrink in the distance. He turned back to her, and his smile faltered at the worried look on her face.