Chapter 1

Harry Styles

        "Harry, you said you would never do anything like this ever again!" 

"Yeah, well, I lied," I said calmly, lighting a cigarette.

"Enough with the cigarettes! Do you have any idea how terrible those are for you?" Mum yelled. She clenched her fists at her sides. I knew that she wanted to hit me, but she decided against it. 

"I'm an adult Mum, I can make my own fucking decisions." I spat on the white tiled floor for emphasis.

"Well considering you live under my roof, I advise you do what I say," she warned lowly.

"And I'm 19 years old, so if I want to smoke a cigarette, I'm going to smoke a damn cigarette!" I raised my voice, quickly losing my patience with my mother. I threw my cig to the floor and put it out with my tattered boot. Normally I wouldn't smoke in the house, but I had just been in jail for a few hours, and cigarettes were one of the few ways I let off steam. I also tend to get into street fights, but that clearly wasn't an option at the moment.

"This isn't just about the cigarettes, Harry," Mum sat down on a kitchen chair and began to cry. "It's about you constantly making bad decisions. This is the third time this year, this year that I've bailed you out of jail. Do you know how hard it is for me, as a mother, to bail my own son out of jail, over and over again?" She put her head in her hands and sobbed. She was right, this was the third time this year she had bailed me out of jail. Last year she had bailed me out four, maybe five times. After a while you loose track.

Although I'm considered a bad guy, a cold, heartless, hard-as-a-rock criminal, I hated to see my mum cry. The fact that I was the reason for her tears made the situation worse. 

"i want you to go to America," she declared, standing up. 

"Why the fuck would I go to America?" I spat.

"It can help you Harry, help that you can't get here. America can change you Harry, there's so many oppertunities! Wouldn't you like to get a job, go to school, or maybe even find a girl?" She wiped her eyes. Was she out of her mind? 

"I'm not going to America, Mum," I said coldly.

"Please Harry." Her glossy eyes pleaded. "Please, at least try it. Just go and, oh I don't know, graduate high school. Just do something that's not breaking laws! Do something!

It killed me to see my mum so upset, it really did. The last thing I wanted to do was leave the country, but if it would make Mum happy, I guessed it wouldn't kill me to try it.

"Alright," I sighed hesitantly. "I'll go to America. For you."

Natalie Jones

        "Hey Nat, will you go and check the fencing just south of the trails? I think Tank or somebody busted it up again, that damn horse," my dad called from inside the barn.

I looked at my wristwatch. I would have time to do it before school, if I was fast.

"Yeah, I will," I hollered back. Everybody here hates fixing the fencing, but personally, I don't mind it. I get to drive my four wheeler all over the property with my dog Lambeau, and just have some time to myself. You don't get a lot of that on a horse farm.

"Come on Lambeau," I whistled, trying to get my dog's attention. The fluffy ball of yellow fur glanced up from the tree he was sniffing and quickly sprinted over to me.

"Good boy," I patted him on the head. I love that dog, he's my best buddy. I named him after Lambeau field, which is where the Green Bay Packers play. My family loves the Packers, so it seemed appropriate.

        Lambeau followed me around to the backside of the barn, where we stored miscellaneous materials that didn't have their own place in the barn. I grabbed a few 5" by 6' wooden boards along with a box of nails, and piled them on the container on the back of my red Yamaha four-wheeler. That thing was my pride and joy. I tied down the wood and hopped on the ATV. It roared to life as I turned the key in the ignition and put it in neutral.

"Let's go, buddy," I called as I sped off down the trail. Lambeau ran along side me for nearly two miles, all the way to the section of fence I was told to fix. Sure enough, a wide six-foot section in the fence had been kicked in, straight down the middle. Tank had probably broken it. He's always breaking stuff.

The hot Nebraska sun was beginning to rise and it beat down on my back as I began to repair the fence. This was a process I had to repeat on a regular basis, and could probably do it with my eyes closed if I ever needed to. The fixing the fence was easy, the hard part was keeping the horses within the pasture from escaping through the gap. The majority of the horses decided it was a waste of their time and energy to attempt to escape. They'd rather eat their hay.

"All done," I said as I pounded the last nail in. The large yellow lab wagged his tail happily.

"Yeah, we better hurry, or I'll be late," I said to him. As I was stacking the useless wood on the four wheeler, Tank trotted up to the fence. The large, liver chestnut horse sniffed it cautiously. If he could talk, he would have said, "I broke this, where's the busted wood?"

"Tank, you bastard. You kick that one more time and Daddy'll send you straight to the glue factory," I rubbed his forehead between his big brown eyes. I knew he liked that. Although he could be a pain, I loved that horse.

Lambeau barked, reminding me of our limited time. 

"Alright, let's go." I hopped onto my four wheeler and allowed Lambeau to sit in front of me on the seat. It wasn't the most ideal way to drive a four wheeler with a 90 pound dog sitting on my lap, but I love that dog, and I knew it was hard for him to keep up at times. 

When we arrived back at the barn, I parked my four wheeler and pushed Lambeau off of me. I quickly showered and brushed my teeth before racing out the door.

"Bye Dad!" I called, slamming the door behind me. By the time he responded, I was already in my truck, on my way to school.

Author's Note

Hey guys! I finally posted the first chapter lol. I'll probably post the second one as well tonight, since that's where I left off on my old account. If you've read the first version of this on my other account, you'll probably notice a few minor details I changed, but nothing major. I love hearing feedback, so leave me a comment maybe?

-Hannah:)