Chapter 2

Natalie Jones

Tim McGraw's voice blasted through my Ford Escape's stereo on the rural drive to school. I was only speeding slightly, but speeding was speeding. I knew I shouldn't have been doing it, but my history teacher would skin me if I was late again.

The high school came into view quicker than I wanted it to. I pulled into the maze of a parking lot and drove to my assigned spot. I nearly did a double take when I saw a black Dodge Charger parked in my parking space. Who the hell drove a sports car like that? Everyone around here drives crappy old trucks.

"What the-" I muttered to myself. This school gave assigned parking spots for a reason!

I managed to find another parking spot and jogged into the 3-story brick building. Time didn't allow me to stop at my locker, I only had two minutes to get to history!

I made it into the classroom barely 30 seconds before the bell rang. I made my way to the back of the room where I tend to sit. I plopped my backpack on the ground and began to take out my history materials, when I noticed something. Or someone.

A brown-haired boy whom I had never seen was inconspicuously seated in the desk abjacent to mine. Thick, chocolate-colored curls were quiffed above a handsome face. His pupils could have easily been mistaken for shiny green marbles. Two round piercings decorated his left eyebrow, and his lips were pulled in a tight line across his beautiful face. The boy appeared to be tall and lanky, but it was difficult to judge because he was sitting. He wore tight, black skinny jeans, brown leather boots, and a white t-shirt that allowed his chest tattoos to peek through at the top. Although he didn't look like the type of person I'd hang around with, he was extremely attractive. Something about him was so captivating, but I couldn't put my finger on it. My eyes were just naturally drawn to him.

He almost looked too old to be in high school, but I couldn't tell.

"It's rude to stare," he acknowledged. His deep voice was a perfect match for his thick British accent. His eyes met mine in an intimidating stare, and I swear my heart stopped. Why was I so charmed by him? Normally I wouldn't give most guys a second glance.

"Sorry, I was um-" I tried to think of something to say. "I'm Natalie. But my friends call me Nat," I stuck my hand out for him to shake. He ignored me and turned his attention to something other than me.

"Well who peed in your Cheerios?" I frowned and pulled my hand back.

"I'm not in the mood, Natalie," he spat as if my name were a joke. Before I could respond, he added, "I don't want to be here."

"Join the club," I chuckled.

"Not here, I mean in America. I hate it here," he snapped.

"Look, Mr. Grumpy-Pants, I don't know what your problem is, but if you hate it here so much you can just take your snappy little attitude and go back to wherever it is that you came from," I sassed.

Before he could retort, Mr. Capistrant began his lecture for the day. The boy shut his mouth and ripped a sheet of paper out of his spiral notebook. He quickly scribbled something down before slamming the paper on my desk.

Look, I'm sorry okay. Know where I can get a job?

I pulled out my favorite purple pen and scribbled back, I live on a horse farm. We could always use some help. I handed it back to him. His eyes quickly scanned the page before writing a response and shoving the paper back in my hand.

I'm not working on a stupid farm with smelly animals.

I frowned at his mention of 'smelly animals,' but wrote: My daddy'll pay real well.

He didn't even read my response before writing something.

Absolutely not. I'm not working on a fucking farm.

Although I knew it shouldn't have, his harsh language made me wince. I hate being cursed at. I sighed, and wrote: Fine. Will you at least tell me your name?

I could just barely read his illegible writing.

Harry Styles.

A/N

Sorry this is so short. I thought it was only fair to update, and I've been really busy with school and driver's ed and riding lately. I'll try to update more often.

I love feedback, so leave me a comment maybe?

Hannah:)