Word Once Given

She was hiding in his arms while his fingers gently ran through her matted hair, caressing the bruise on the back of her neck. She knew he wouldn’t hurt her, quite on the contrary. He was always kind to her. She felt a gentle kiss on her temple:

“I spoke to your grandmother yesterday; she’s heartbroken. Her health is deteriorating rapidly… She truly regrets what happened Georgie.”

“She better be,” she spat out and tore away from him. She recalled the memories of the last night that she saw her and shivered. Her grandmother’s guilty conscience wouldn’t help her. She felt sick and exhausted; in fact she’s never felt more helpless.

“I told her everything; she gave me her permission to marry you.”

 “You meant it?” she whispered disbelievingly.

“That I intend to marry you? I woudn’t have asked for your word if I wasn’t serious,” he replied and pulled her onto his lap. He was carefully evading all the bruises and cuts he knew about as he slid his hands over her thin body. She was physically unable to eat again.

“I asked for your word,” he reminded her. “I wouldn’t do that if I wouldn’t mean it. Give me two hours and I’ll be back for you. That’s all I need to get everything ready.”

“We are here to join these two souls in Holy Matrimony….”

The priest’s voice interrupted her thoughts and she looked around nervously. Yaxley was standing beside her, observing her slightest moves and right behind him stood two Muggles, who stared at both of them with mellow, accepting expressions and smiled as she turned to look at them. Yaxley was known for excelling at the Imperius curse not to even mention the manner in which he took away her wand. All of this was done in too much of a hurry; she thought that not even a forced marriage should ever be done in such a rush. The lack of caution was also quite surprising: Georgianna remembered the nuns whispering behind the door of convent’s chapel. They were gossiping about their unusual appearance as they chose to call it. They definitely drew special attention to themselves: an older man and a quiet young woman who asked to be married within an hour. Neither of them were dressed appropriately, they had no rings and their witnesses were two random strangers who couldn’t act even walk straight without Yaxley commanding them to.

Before she could even reconsider her options once again, Yaxley was already holding her hand and the priest was addressing her personally:

“Do you, Lorrelaine Kendrick, take Dominic Yaxley to be your lawfully wedded husband?”

The grip on her hand tightened slightly and the look on Yaxley’s face advised caution. Even if she decided to run away now and hide from Voldemort’s wrath in Antarctica, there wasn’t a place in this world where she could hide from Yaxley.

“I do,” she said hurriedly.

“Do you Dominic Yaxley take Lorrelaine Kendrick to be your lawfully wedded wife?”

“I do,” he confirmed. He was looking down at her with that strangely kind look that she learned not to trust. He pulled her close to him and kissed her, making the marriage official for the eyes of the priest. She felt his tongue slide across the slight break between her lips, encouraging her to give in to him but she turned her head away from him instant. Yaxley grabbed her elbow roughly:

“That’s the last time you’ve done something like that in the public,” he whispered to her ear calmly. “I don’t give a damn that he’s just a filthy Muggle but you’re my wife now… you will act as such.”

“I pronounce you husband and wife,” she heard the priest interrupt him shakily. By now he must have noticed everything about them as a couple was wrong Yaxley turned to glare at the priest.