Chapter 34

Aurelia

I counted down the days till summer ended, desperate to go back to Hogwarts and see Draco.

Auriah and I had been sent back to our house with Yaxley. My father had sent Aunt Helena abroad to retrieve rare ingredients for a few potions he needed, leaving Yaxley completely in charge.

It felt weird to be back home after not living there for so long, it didn't really feel like home. Everything seemed smaller. The protective wards were up so we were trapped in the house.

There was no way for me to contact Draco, the floos had all been warded and no owls were allowed to come onto our property. Riah and I were in complete lock down.

I heard from Yaxley he had been part of some minor raids which worried me. There was so much that could have gone wrong. I drove Yaxley mad asking about Draco's wellbeing, making sure he wasn't thrown in Azkaban or dead. If the summer went on any longer I was sure Yaxley would have begged my father to let me see Draco again just so I would stop pestering him.

My sister and I were not on speaking terms which made our house arrest even worse. We both avoided each other constantly. Yaxley noticed right away. He found it hilarious and constantly tried to provoke us into fighting.

I spent almost every day training with Yaxley. He pushed me hard but I needed it. The battle at the Department of Mysteries haunted me. As much as I blamed Theo for losing the prophecy, I also blamed myself for not being good enough to stop him or save the orb.

I was weak, but never again.

I got to see my father a few times a month, he was more and more powerful each time I saw him. Watching him grow stronger filled me with excitement, the life I had always wanted would soon be mine.

If he was this strong after drinking me and Riah's blood for just a year, I could only imagine the power he would hold as the years went by.

My father was not quite himself though, he was obsessed with the prophecy I had lost to the point where it consumed him.

All I had to offer were the bits and pieces I remembered hearing when Potter held the orb initially.

From what I understood either Harry or my father had to die. Only one could live, I would do everything I could to make sure it wasn't Harry Potter. 

Auriah 

The day Aunt Helena came home was probably the highlight of the summer. Trapped in a house with Yaxley and Aurelia, who both hated me, was anything but pleasant.

She only returned a few days before I had to go back to school but I was glad that we had a bit of time together. I was dying to ask her about my mother's death. I had been thinking about it nonstop since our last conversation.

Aunt Helena and I sat in the small blue kitchen each with a cup of tea. It was early in the morning, the orange rays of the rising sun illuminated our faces.

"What's been going on with you and Lia?" my aunt asked as she took a sip of her tea.

"We've just been having a few different beliefs..." I trailed off, unsure if I could tell her about my growing hatred towards my father.

"Oh I understand that." She replied with a small smile, there was a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"You do?"

"Your mother and I, we had... very different beliefs." She stared down at the dark mark on her skin, she brushed her fingers over it and I saw her eyes water slightly.

I placed a hand on her arm, she looked up at me and the pain in her eyes grew.

She exhaled deeply and pulled her arm back, reaching it into her cardigan pocket. She pulled out a cigarette and her wand.

Her hands shook as she lit the cigarette. I realized her face was creased with deep lines, lines that weren't there the last time I saw her. She had been stressing out about something.

After a few puffs she put the cigarette out and her gaze returned to meet mine.

"It's my fault your mother's dead." She whispered.

"What?"

"I'll show you everything." My aunt said as she lowered her occlumency defense.