three

This was the worst part of the night; sleeping. No matter how determined August was to not doze off to sleep, exhaustion always won and his eyes closed in defeat. He tossed and turned restlessly throughout the (what seemed like eternal) night, his pale forehead shiny with sweat as disturbing murmurs escaped his mouth.

"I didn't mean to...I couldn't control it," he muttered in his sleep, flustered.

And with an alarmed gasp, he sat up, startled. His shoulders rose up and down uncontrollably, his body scorching despite the icy wind blowing directly towards him. His heart pounded so erratically in his chest that he felt it ringing in his ears.

August raised his clammy hand and raked it through his sweaty hair. After the large number of years of having the same nightmare, he expected himself to adjust to the dreadful torment he endured every night but instead his petrification and guilt only increased. He exhaled deeply and eventually became aware of his surroundings. The sun beamed down onto the forest floor and he was surprised that everyone was still asleep, especially through Reepicheep's disturbing snoring. Augustus stood up on his two feet and stretched his arms out above him before making his way to the river.

The icy water always helped him after a nightmare, it felt as if it washed away the shuddering terror. He cupped the cold water carefully in his large hands and closed his eyes tight, splashing the water on his flaming face. He could already feel his muscles relaxing and his body cooling. A relieved sigh escaped his lips.

Beside him, he heard a noise. Quickly, August turned his head to the sound and saw Caspian sitting down on the ground. His dark, wild hair danced with the wind as he sat peacefully watching the sunrise, his arms resting on his propped up knees.

August made his way towards him.

"Morning, sunshine," he grinned and sat down beside him, mirroring his position. He turned his head to look at him, ignoring the same sense of familiarity he felt every time he looked into his tender brown eyes. "Trouble sleeping?"

"Truthfully, sleeping on the ground wasn't as comfortable as I had imagined it to be," Caspian chuckled and August gave him a small smile in return. "You?"

August ducked his head between his knees for a moment and looked up at the water in front of him, a small smirk on his childish face. He nodded subtly. "Guess so."

August felt Caspian's intimidating gaze locked on him but continued to stare at the calm water. It rippled subtly in the reflection of the magnificent sunrise, as the wind whistled softly around him. He enjoyed this part most of all in the morning; the silent peace before anyone awoke, leaving himself alone with the beautiful greenery surrounding him. Except this time, he had company. And to his surprise, he didn't mind.

"Can I ask you a question?" Caspian spoke.

Augustus tensed. He hated the uncontrollable tension that built in his bones when someone asked a simple question. He hated the fear he felt that someone would discover who he truly was. He hated the constant reassurance in the back of his mind reminding him to relax. And most of all, he hated what he was.

Swallowing the huge lump in his throat, he nodded reluctantly. "Go ahead."

"What is your name?"

August ducked his head once again but this time in amusement, a huge smile stretching across his face. His shoulders relaxed and he turned his head to look at Caspian who seemed awfully concerned. A content laugh escaped his lips.

Caspian knitted his eyebrows together. "What?"

"You could have asked me any question and you ask me my name?"