four

The vast horde of Narnians, led by Peter and Caspian, walked through the forest. Igniting the Narnians with its dazzling light, rays of luminous sunlight shone down on the wood; August kept his eyes down to refrain from being blinded. Leaves fell gracefully from the still trees and crunched underneath his shoes as he walked beside Lucy and Edmund.

"Peter wasn't wrong, you know," Lucy began and smiled warmly. "You really are a good fighter."

He felt the pulse of his heart increasing, struggling to hide the utter excitement rushing through him. Never in a million years did he think Queen Lucy would be complimenting his battle skills. "Oh, it was nothing," he said, attempting to shrug casually.

They shared a quick glance, the same heartfelt smile stretched across both their faces.

Lucy opened her mouth as if to say something but Edmund quickly cut her off. "I don't quite understand."

"Understand what?" August questioned, glancing at Edmund's muddled expression.

"You're human," he noted. "Why didn't you lead the Narnians before we came?"

His pace slowed as he shrugged. "Caspian lead us."

"Well, what about before-"

"I still think we should wait for Aslan," Lucy interrupted confidently him, not a hint of doubt in her voice.

August released an inaudible exhale then turned his head to Lucy as he realized what she just said.

"There's been no word from Aslan since you all left," he said, eyebrows furrowed.

"Well, yes, I know," Lucy frowned then smiled, small white pearls glistening in the sunlight. "But I saw him! He's coming to save us! I know it."

"Aslan? You saw Aslan?"

Before Lucy got the chance to respond, the crowd stopped, silence settling upon them. August stared, admiring the colossal field in front of them. Despite the countless times he'd seen it, it always seemed to bring him the same content feeling. His favourite thing to do was lie down in the middle of the field and read with the warm sunlight hitting his stomach and the grass subtly tickling his back.

They walked in silence to the distant Narnians, staring ahead of them in awe. The centaurs raised their glimmering swords high. Their eyes widened in astonishment and delighted smiles stretched across their faces when they saw the Kings and Queens.

August slowed to a stop for a moment to allow the four to walk on. Caspian stepped next to him and froze. August looked at him through the corner of his eye and watched as the other boy gazed at the stone building in front of them. If August hadn't known any better, he'd have thought he was glued to the ground.

Finally, Caspian glanced at August, clearly not expecting him to be staring back. August swiftly looked away and continued walking.

The crowd entered Aslan's How and were greeted with long stares and dropped jaws. Fire crackled in all corners and grunts were made as the Narnians continued building. August looked at his dear friend, Fidmus, and a grin cracked across his face before he made his way over to him. Fidmus was a loyal companion of August's and also known as Reepicheep's mischievous little brother. He and August were the well known partners in crime, specifically known for playing pranks on the Narnians and Telmarines whenever they had the chance.

"Am I hallucinating or did the Queens and Kings of Narnia just walk in?" Fidmus asked as he stared in awe at them, frozen to the stone ground.

"Well, hello to you too, Fidmus," August rolled his eyes. "What ever happened to 'Hello, August?", "How are you, August?", "You're looking exceptionally extraordinary today, August!" because I know I look exceptionally extraordinary today." He then casually shrugged. "But yes, it's real, despite that it feels much like a dream."