[ 021 ] leonard peabody: creepster extraordinaire

XXI.

l e o n a r d p e a b o d y :
c r e e p s t e r
e x t r o a r d i n a i r e

FROM A DARKNESS punctuated with throbbing stabs of fire, Klaus dragged his senses slowly back to life.

When he finally opened his eyes, he was conscious of nothing but an excruciating pain through his temples. He was vaguely aware of unfamiliar surroundings.

Where was he? What had happened? He blinked feebly. This was not the Umbrella Academy. And what the hell was the matter with his head?

"Dammit!" said Klaus, and tried to sit up.

He had remembered.

He'd been kidnapped by those freaks in masks. He uttered a groan and fell back. Through his almost-closed lids he looked around carefully.

"He's waking up," remarked a voice very near Klaus' ear. He recognized it at once for that of the large man in the blue bear mask, and kept artistically still.

He thought it would really suck to wake up too soon; and until the pain in his head became a little less acute, he felt unable to think of any sort of plan. Not that he was any good at thinking of plans normally.

Painfully, Klaus tried to puzzle out what had happened. Obviously somebody must have crept up behind him as he listened to music while dancing around with only a towel wrapped around his waist (in hindsight, not the best idea) and struck him down with a smack on the head.

Klaus was in a tight place. His siblings didn't know where he was, so he couldn't expect any outside assistance, and if they did know, he doubted anyone would care much.

"Well, here goes," murmured Klaus to himself, and repeated his former remark. "Dammit!" he observed, his eyes fluttering open.

In a minute, Blue Bear stepped forward and placed a glass to his lips. "Drink," he said sternly.

Klaus obeyed. The potency of the draught made him choke, but it cleared his brain nicely.

He was strapped to a chair in a dingy hotel room. On one side of him was Blue Bear, on the other was the woman in the pink dog mask.

"Feel better?" asked Pink Dog, as her partner removed the empty glass.

"Yes, thanks," returned Klaus cheerfully.

"You're lucky your skull is so thick. I sure struck hard."

Klaus twisted his head around with an effort, but was immediately slapped back so that he faced forward once more. He winced.

"Oh," Klaus said, "so you're the one who brought me here, are you? I think the thickness of my skull was lucky for you too. I almost feel bad that I've let you cheat a few decades in the slammer for manslaughter."

The woman laughed, and Blue Bear said quietly: "She would've run no risk of that."

"If you say so," replied Klaus. "I think it's about time that the police get involved, anyway."