5

Waking up in a cold sweat was no longer unusual for Laelia. When it happened in her friends' home, it was slightly alarming. She couldn't escape no matter how she tried. She sat up, pushing her sweat soaked hair away from her face. Her head dropped with defeat seeing the clock only read three in the morning.

"Laelia?" Jana's soft voice rang from the doorway. Laelia gazed up at her friend with a sad smile. "Are you alright? You were screaming in your sleep." Jana sat down next to her on the bed.

"Is she okay?" Amelia entered the room in a panic as well.

Laelia finally spoke with a hoarse voice, "I'm awake. I'm fine."

"Honey, you were shouting." Amelia crawled into the bed beside her, ready to give Laelia the comfort she needed. "What were you dreaming about?" Amelia gently rubbed her back, hoping to coax the nightmare from her.

"He tried." Laelia broke down crying. Amelia and Jana looked at each other with sadness. "He tried to save me, but he couldn't." Jana wrapped her in a tight, protective hug. "I can still hear him screaming and crying. It won't turn off in my head."

Amelia hushed her softly, "It's just a dream, sweetie."

"No." Laelia shook her head. "It was like I was really there. I could see the terror in his eyes. I could feel his screams in my body."

"Laelia, you were screaming too." Jana informed her once more. Laelia didn't have a response. She couldn't control the tears anymore. She'd been holding in the overwhelming emotions for weeks. "It's okay. It's alright. You're safe." Jana held her tighter, hoping to calm her friend.

"I think I'm going to sleep in here with her. She shouldn't be alone if they're getting this bad." Amelia whispered to Jana.

"I'll stay too." Jana murmured. She released Laelia, allowing her to lie down again. Jana and Amelia quickly snuggled into the bed on either side of her. "Now, do you want to tell us what the dream was about?"

Laelia inhaled deeply, "We were running through a field, playing like teenagers would almost, running around and be silly. He was so sweet and loving. Then the sky turned dark somehow, it was like the heavens were opening up. I could hear someone yelling my name from far away." Amelia rested her arm over Laelia's waist, wanting to ground her.

"Keep going." Jana urged her.

"The yelling got closer. He was trying to get me away, hide me from the person yelling. I couldn't run fast enough to get away. He tried to pick me up, but I kept falling down the hillside. I just wasn't stable enough." Laelia explained. "Someone grabbed my arm, dragging me down the hillside. They grabbed him too, bringing him along. We were in trouble, like big trouble." Laelia could feel herself choking up again. Amelia stroked her arm with her thumb, easing her slightly. "The next thing I saw was the edge of the cliff again, out a window. I could hear him yelling in the distance. He sounded awful. I rushed to the window to see where he was. He was outside, yelling up to me. He looked as awful as he sounded."

"Laelia, what happened?" Jana asked quietly when Laelia inhaled deeply.

"Someone caught him outside. I was brought into another room. He was there with a scared look. I was terrified. I could feel my heart racing. I don't know what happened but then I heard him screaming, like he'd had limbs ripped off." Laelia left out the pieces of the dream she didn't want them to know. There was more to the story of the dream, she just couldn't bring herself to share. "And then I woke up."

"I'm so sorry, honey. That sounds awful." Amelia kissed her temple.

"Its the worst it's ever been." Laelia confessed.