Vibe Check

Percy's POV

"Percy!" Annabeth yelled.

I was hurt, but honestly compared to some of the other stuff I went through, this was nothing.

But... getting a burn on your leg from an Empousa still seriously hurts. I guess monsters don't really like it when you insult them.

Annabeth stabbed the monster with her knife and helped me limp back to camp from outside the border. We had decided to sneak out for a date, and to visit my mom and Paul, but obviously our return was a bit delayed.

It was mid way through summer and all the activities were in full swing. I saw a few Demeter kids out in the strawberry fields, and an assortment of demigods in the training arena and in the stables.

"Hey Percy, Annabeth!" Kayla yelled. She had seen us limping back to camp, and as an Apollo kid, I was glad to see her.

"Hey Kayla! Just a monster, a little burn, can you help us to the infirmary?" I asked, as she ran forwards to meet us.

She slipped under my other arm and started to help Annabeth and I towards the infirmary. She had a worried frown on her face, but replied, "Of course. I think Will has a shift right now and then you can get right back to activities." She paused and got a little grin on her face, as she questioned, "Where were you two anyways?"

I shot a look at Annabeth, but this one was on me. It was my idea to sneak out, plus, though Annabeth was much better at strategy, I was equally as good at thinking up excuses on my feet. "We were training? Against monsters outside the border? You know, it's a great way to get better at fighting. Much different fighting styles then the other campers of course," I hurriedly explained. She didn't look convinced, but let it slide.

"Ok, well, here we are," she said as we walked up the steps, "See you guys later!"

She ran off, probably to meet her siblings again, and Annabeth leaned over and whispered, "Seriously Seaweed Brain? That was the best you could do? We were training? That was pathetic." I could tell she was trying to look mad, but her gray eyes were sparkling, showing her amusement.

"Come on Wise Girl," I chuckled, and nudged her shoulder a little, "I know you found it funny. Besides, could you have done any better?"

She smirked in a self assured way, that told me the answer. Of course she could.

The infirmary, while not my favorite place because of all the memories, was comforting. You could definitely see the Apollo kids influence on it. It was bright and sunny, clean and cheerful, half-filled with campers who got injured recently. Will, the head counselor of the Apollo cabin, was bent over one of the younger campers, maybe a child of Ares from the frustrated expression on their face, and was re-wrapping a gash on their arm.

As they neared, they could hear Will sternly telling the kid, "You can leave, but no more sparring with you siblings for the next 2 days." The kid started to walk out of the infirmary, and Will yelled over his shoulder, "And come back tomorrow! We need to check your arm one more time!"

He saw them and smiled, all the while running an assessing eye over them. "Hey guys. Percy, you should go to that bench over there and take a seat. I'll be right over. Is your leg the only thing?"

I nodded, and responded proudly, "Yeah, Annabeth took care of the monster. We're good." Annabeth took a seat on the chair across from me, and I asked her, "It's still not too late in the afternoon, do you want to go to the lake later and swim?"

Annabeth shook her head. "No, not today, my cabin has a planning session for the capture the flag game, remember?"

"Aww Annabeth, you already know exactly what to do," Percy whined.

"Well, I would, but someone never fails to go off plan because you find a better way to do it and the rest of us are left unbalanced. That's why we need multiple contingency plans. Remember, last time-," she cut off as Will walked in their direction. He was on the opposing team, and Annabeth was never willing (haha) to give up any information.

"Ok Percy, let's see it," he lifts my leg and looks at the burn, careful not to touch it. "It seems like you have a second-degree burn. Go over to the sink and run it under water for 10 or 15 minutes," he paused, "Or you know just use your Poseidon powers or something. After that we'll wrap you up, have you wait here for a while and elevate it, and give you some ambrosia."

I drew some water from the sink into a loop because that would be easier for me than lifting my leg up to the sink, and a little while later Will came back over and loosely wrapped my leg.

"Ok Percy, lie down for a while, and put a few pillows under your leg to elevate it. Here's a square of ambrosia too. Eat it, then you can leave," Will instructed.

I did as he said, and tasted the sweetness of my mom's blue cookies wash over my tongue. I savored it for a moment, then looked over at Annabeth.

"So, that was enjoyable, huh?" she quipped.

"Yep. One of the best days of camp I've had so far. Right up there with being chased to the Camp borders by a Minotaur," I deadpanned.

She rolled her eyes at me, just as Chiron walked into the infirmary.

"Percy, where have you been? You were supposed to be teaching a class today at the training arena."

I was internally panicking and told Chiron I forgot. He looked unimpressed.

"Percy, I know better than that. You weren't here for lunch, and neither was Annabeth, and you know you have a burn... from an esposa on your leg?"

I gave him the same excuse I had to Kayla, and told him I was training, but added a bit more.

"You know, who knew the monsters would be there? I sure didn't. I call it a vibe check from the gods."

"..."

"A... vibe check from the gods?" Chiron looked confused and slightly distraught. "Percy, I know that you know monsters lurk outside the borders. Now, don't do it again ok?"

As Chiron turned to leave I said to Annabeth, "I think we got off easy, yeah? For sneaking out of camp, and not even saving the world this time."

"I heard that Mr. Jackson. A week of stable duties. You too Ms. Chase!"

I sighed. It could have been worse. It could be better though, as I could see Annabeth glaring at me. This would be fun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person POV

Chiron rolled his wheelchair up to the only computer Camp had, right next door from the infirmary. He turned it on and opened Google to slowly type out the words 'vibe check'.