Chapter two

Notes - I'm proud of this chapter, it exceeded my expectations

Half of this chapter was a blind run (Unplanned)

Most of this (William Vangeance's words) are taken directly from the anime Black Clover

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Apologizes for making you wait.. I will be conducting the exams this year." The man in the center of the balcony spoke. Or at least I thought it was him, because he was the only one standing. The other captains were seated respectfully.

The captain took out his grimoire, based on his Mana he was indeed as strong as everyone currently said he was. I was mesmerized by his soft soul, until suddenly white particles started to form in the sky, and tree roots started to appear above us. Many people found it hard to stay on their feet due to the intense Mana, and windiness. The branches from the tree root spread across the sky and came down to us. They formed broom-shapes, it was distributed to every single contestant.

"We will now begin the magic knight exams." The captain announced. This man must be Captain Vangeance, a world tree magic user. I thought, gripping onto my broom securely.

"We will have you all go through a series of 7 tests. The nine of us will be evaluating your performance, and then we will select the candidates we want to join our squad. If you are chosen, you will join that squad. If you are picked by more than one squad, then you are allowed to choose the squad of your choice. But if you aren't chosen by any of the squad captains, you are not qualified to join the magic knights." Captain Vangeance explained.

After that he started to talk about the first part of the exams. "For the first part, you will have to fly a boom." After he mentioned that many people started to worry about their performances. They freaked out and panicked.

"To fly a broom?" One of them questioned

"But.. I've never flown a broom before.." Another one added on.

"Come on Ari, this is easy! We practiced this a million times'' Siri exclaims, popping out of nowhere. "Where did you go?"

Captain Vangeance continued to talk about the first part "Mages who can control their magical powers should be able to do this instinctively. It's the most basic way for a mage to travel." Some of the mages in the background received a broom and started to demonstrate. In my view they were blending the green outline from the tree and white mana together, resulting in movement. "If you cannot fly a broom you shouldn't even be here." This made even the calmest of candidates worry ever so slightly. But finally we were able to start flying with the words of "You may begin"

People started to board their brooms, and many failed to cling on in the process. While the naturals flexed off their so called amazing skills. Siri disappeared a while ago, she probably left to go get some food with my money. Not that it mattered too much though, Auntie Lora gave us quite a lot.

(Third Person POV)

This is a great way to examine the basic requirements of a mage. Charlotte opened her eyes and began examining the contestants. "It seems like we have a promising bunch this year." Charlotte spoke. On the balcony were the captains who were observing their potential juniors.

When Akari found a suitable spot, she stood on her broom and flew around naturally, waiting for the round to end. "How were they able to fly smoothly?" A person asked. "Maybe they are both royals of some sort?" They suggested. "Nah, I heard that man was from the boonies, I don't know about the girl though." Somebody answered.

The captains were currently staring at the talented ones, completely brushing off the ones who were struggling. "If you will excuse me for a moment." Nozel quickly got up from his seat and left.

While Akari was currently trying to encourage a fellow contestant who was struggling. "Come on Noelle, you should probably start trying to fly, before the round ends!" Akari exclaimed. Your right I can do this. Noelle thought.

As soon as they were both about to walk out somebody interrupted them "And where do you think your going?" He asked. "N-Nozel Nii-sama.." Noelle stuttered. "Even if you did try, you will still fail, you already know what squad your going to be in. Don't go out there and embarrass the name of the Silvia's." Nozel said. Then he murmured something along the lines of "Disgrace that killed our mother." With that he left. Suddenly Noelle bowed in front of me "I'm sorry for wasting your time.." and went back to join her pre-decided squad.

What the heck! Well we can cross the silver eagles off the list, because it's probably full of rude rich people. Akari thought. Suddenly a portal appeared behind her.

"Hey what's that?" Guldre pointed at Akari, as the white portal appeared behind the young girl. In her perspective white particles were behind her and a small white being pounced on her back. Akari made a small squeak and tripped over a rock, falling on top of another contestant. "My bad! my bad!" The tiger called out, holding a bag of whatever's inside of there.

Akari stood up and helped the contestant that she tripped over. "Sorry about that.." She said. "It's fine my name is Asta!" The guy yelled. "Um.. Akari nice to meet you.." she replied. The two of them started to chat with each other like nothing ever happened. Of course this caused many people to stare in wonder of where that little creature came from. Apparently Siri heard the previous conversation between Akari and Noelle making Siri's speak up "Are these really the captains of this age, like come on my previous master had way better people looking after her!" She complained

Akari and Siri stared up at the captains for a bit, making them look right back at her. "What's that disgusting little creature doing here?" The captain of the purple orca's gagged. But then something 'brilliant' appeared in his mind, so he quickly closed his mouth. Which did alarm the other captains.

"How could you hate the thing? It's adorable.." Charlotte blurted quickly out, and blushed in embarrassment. What she didn't expect was for the other captains to agree with her. They just assumed it was a part of magic, such as a spirit or something.

William stood up again to announce the end of the first part. "That is enough for the first part of the exams, please proceed to land on the ground if you haven't already."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes - This chapter is a bit shorter than the others, nonetheless it's still decent.

From the Author