Chapter Two: House Arrest

I pled not guilty.

I wasn't entirely sure when my trial was going to start, but they decided to put me under house arrest until then.

"All your activity will be monitored," the detective told me, whom I learned was Andrew Watson, the guy Erica had mentioned. "So, don't try anything stupid. You're only allowed to go to class and have bathroom breaks. That's it. And no conversing, either."

So, that was that. Today was my third day of being under house arrest. I was currently sitting on my bed, reading up on the many different types of weaponry that existed and how to use them - not that they would help my real-life experience with them.

I spent most of my days alone. Whenever I walked in the hallways, it was like I had a large personal bubble around me the size of a large truck. Crowds parted around me, and whenever I sat down in the mess to eat, three tables in every direction were all completely empty.

Oh, and did I mention the GPS ankle bracelet they slapped on me?

Yeah. Life was great.

My room had also been inspected, but I had no clue if they'd found any evidence or not. If I'd really been framed, then there was probably evidence planted everywhere in my room, which most definitely didn't help my case.

I slammed the book shut and threw it across the room. I wasn't sure what I was angry at, but it felt oddly satisfying to see the book splatter against the wall and drop to the floor.

Besides reading random books on espionage, I'd spent the last two days trying to solve the mystery surrounding the murder. I had had practically nothing to go off of, except for the fact that the murder had taken place in the principal's office - I knew because people avoided that place like it smelled like a thousand farts - and that he'd been shot.

I'd figured that meant that a gun had most likely been planted in my room, in a place I wouldn't visit between the time frame of me waking up and then getting arrested. That wasn't too hard - the best place would probably be under my mattress.

But, to be able to imitate my face in a video recording? That was much harder. Of course, security cameras didn't have the best quality, so they didn't have to imitate every little detail, but just enough to generally look like me.

It was possible that the perpetrator simply edited the video just enough to make themselves look like me, or they'd put on a bit of makeup prior to murdering the principal.

But, the biggest question that I couldn't figure out (besides who the perpetrator could possibly be) was, why did they murder the principal, and why did they frame me?

I also spent a lot of time thinking about Erica. The only thing worse than being suspected of being a murderer by the police was being suspected of being a murderer by Erica Hale. To become close with someone who turned out to be a criminal would only harden her heart even more. Joshua Hallal had betrayed her heart once, and now she thought I'd done the same thing.

"Holy crap." Erica's voice appeared out of nowhere. "They've been questioning me for hours."

I jumped, starting to turn around, then paused. Wait a second...

I immediately realized what had happened: the whole you-are-a-murderer-and-I-hate-you thing when I'd gotten arrested had been a complete act, and she'd slipped a radio piece into my ear by slapping me.

"Cough once for yes, twice for no. Can you hear me?"

I coughed once. I wanted to ask her why she'd waited so long before announcing her presence to me, but I knew I shouldn't speak - the police were monitoring the security cameras and microphones in my room.

As though she'd read my mind, Erica told me, "I couldn't contact you for such a long time because of the little argument we had when you got arrested. I guess they interpreted it as the two of us having a close relationship, so they thought that I might've been involved in the murder or known something about it. They've continually interrogated me nonstop, and they were keeping an eye on me, so I wasn't ever completely alone. Well, I'm finally alone now, so I can talk to you about what I've found."

I waited silently.

"What are you doing right now? Don't just sit there, otherwise the police might get suspicious."

Trying to appear as casual as possible, I stood up and walked over to the opposite wall, picked up the book, then returned to my seat on the bed and pretended to continue reading.

"Tonight, I'm going to sneak to the station and take a look at the evidence, and do some investigating of my own. Based on what I've heard so far, though, it seems pretty set in stone that you're the murderer."

I coughed twice.

"I know, I know. I hacked the school's security system and took a look at the footage, and found that it was recorded at exactly twenty-three-hundred forty-six at night. It seems that the perpetrator - who really looks a lot like you, by the way, not entirely sure how they did that - didn't need to use a silencer, as the principal's office is soundproof. After all, a whole bunch of highly classified conversations are held inside.

"What's most interesting, though, is the aim. Ripley, you can't shoot a gun to save your life, but the perpetrator hit the principal dead-on with absolutely perfect aim, which clearly states that you are not the murderer."

I wanted to cry in relief. Erica now knew that I was innocent, and didn't hate me with all her guts.

"Unfortunately, I can't just go to the police with that kind of evidence. Which is why I need to find even more evidence to help prove your innocence."

Aren't you going to let me out? I wanted to ask.

"There's also one other question, and a very obvious one: why did the perpetrator kill the principal, and why did they frame you? I've come up with multiple theories.

"The first theory is that the perpetrator wants position of principal, as that allows tons of access to all kinds of important files, although that means that they have to be in the CIA in the first place. If this really is the case, then they probably have a plan in convincing - or forcing - the top brass to put them in position of principal. You, Ben, were just a random person to frame.

"The second theory is that the perpetrator has something against the principal - and, to be honest, that could be anyone."

We both knew exactly why - practically everyone in the CIA hated the principal.

She continued, "Again, you were just a random person to frame.

"The third theory is that you've gotten some extra training on the side and have improved your aim, and as everyone knows, you and the principal hate each other, so that would give you a perfect motive."

I coughed twice again.

Erica ignored me. "The fourth and fifth theories are the same as the first and second, but assuming that the perpetrator has some kind of grudge against you and purposely framed you. After I leave, try thinking of a few people that hate the principal and hate you enough to frame you for a crime.

"For now, I can't do anything about breaking you out. Unfortunately, you're going to have to stay under house arrest a little longer. Going radio silence."

Her exit was so blunt and surprising, I waited a few seconds longer before realizing she was gone at all. Afterward, I sighed, burying my head in my pillow and attempting to fall asleep.

"Looks like you'll be stuck here a little longer," I grumbled to myself.