Chapter 29

The bride and groom's side settled opposite each other on mattresses that were set up in the banquet.

Shehnaaz sat next to Ayesha as Sidharth settled with Rishabh followed by Monica sitting next to him. Shehnaaz frowned at the proximity between Monica and Sidharth which did not go unnoticed by the ever observant Ayesha. She immediately connected the dots and now knew the reason for Shehnaaz's heavy voice that afternoon. She felt happy. Rishabh had already informed her about his conversation with Sidharth and now she was glad that Shehnaaz was equally affected.

The game started with the groom's side singing first.

Mile ho tum humko, bade naseebo se,
Churaya hai maine, kismet ki lakeeron se...

Shehnaaz and Sidharth were continously looking at each other, feeling the lyrics of the song. They were lucky to have met each other, they were lucky to have each other in their lives.

"S se gao." Rishabh's cousin said excitedly once she finished singing the song, bringing both back to reality.

Sunn saathiya, mahiya, barsa de, ishqa ki syahiyaan,
Rang jau, rang rang jau ri, haari main,
Tujhpe main jhar jhar jhar jau haari,
Hoon piya bas teri main,
Ho choo le toh khari main....

Ayesha sang the song looking at Rishabh, both of them blushing a little, their eyes filled with love. Shehnaaz and Sidharth were happy for their friends. They had found love, support and friendship. They were each other's happy place and that completely reflected in the way they were with each other.

Main tenu samjhawan ki,
Na tere bina lagda jee,
Tu ki jaane pyaar mera,
Main karoon intezar tera,
Tu dil tuhion jaan meri,
Main tenu samjhawan ki,
Na tere bina lagda jee....

Sidharth sang as he looked into Shehnaaz's eyes. Not breaking contact throughout the song. Shehnaaz's heart thudded against her chest. She was blushing while her eyes were glistening.

"Oh my God Sidharth, you were amazing." Monica screamed as she jumped to hug him and kiss him. Sidharth just gave her a fake smile and tried to free himself from her clutches.

"Arre kitne pyaare lag rahe hai naa dono." Ayesha's aunt commented as Monica clutched on to Sidharth's arm.

The entire scene was enough to ruin Shehnaaz's mood. She was mentally scolding herself to believe anything was ever going to be possible between them. After all she was a divorcee and that fact would never change, she thought. Whereas Sidharth would always have so many options. Why would he ever choose her, she thought. Yes, Sidharth had said nobody could take her place. But Sidharth had also said that she was his friend, just a friend. That's all she was and that's all she would be. She cursed herself for setting her heart free to choose it's path while her heart kept telling her that it wasn't wrong. She clutched on to the mattress to gather some strength to continue sitting there. Her heart and mind was a complete mess.

"Nahi... bilkul ache nahi lag rahe dono. Kyunki ek apne aap ko dusre pe thopne ki koshish kar raha hai aur dusra khud ko chudane ki. Nahi ache lag rahe dono saath mein chachi." Ayesha said as a matter of fact. She realized how affected Shehnaaz seemed to be.

Shehnaaz looked up at Ayesha with her eyes brimming up.

Ayesha smiled and whispered to her, "Mujhe woh Monica bilkul pasand nahi hai. Rishabh bata raha tha kaise college mein bhi woh Sidharth ke peeche padi rehti thi aur Sidharth usse door bhaagte rehta tha. Rishabh bhi sirf isliye kuch nahi bol pata kyunki woh uski cousin hai. Warna toh woh usko yahan bulata bhi nahi. Chipkali kahiki."