Betrothed

It had been two weeks since I'd let Jason go, he was in the middle of creating a new persona for himself. He was stuck between being the Red Hood or the Arkham Knight. I didn't mind what he went with, so long as he kept me in the loop so I knew when to cover up to the team. I had just finished having a conversation about what pistols should be his signature (non-lethal don't worry, or that's what he said at least) and heading to the living room when I noticed everyone standing there, and then Starfire flew past carrying her stuff from her room.
"Uh, Starfire?" Cyborg asked.
"Hmm," She didn't stop moving as she replied.
"Going somewhere?" Beast Boy asked.
"I am leaving for Tamaran," Well that was news to me
"And you're taking all your stuff because?" Raven prompted and this time she did stop.
"I am not ever coming back," Her face was serious, her tone was serious. This must be a dream, it must be.
"Starfire, what's wrong?" I asked after a moment of silence.
"Nothing is wrong," That smile was forced, there is a lot wrong Star, "I am... getting married."
Shock, that must be why everything went spun and then went black.

"You're getting married?" I asked for what must be the thousandth time as we flew to Tamaran.
"Indeed," Her voice had perked up a bit since we'd left, "And I cannot wait to see Tamaran. I have been having a bit of the sick home feeling lately and am eager to introduce my home planet to you, my friends. First you must ingest the fresh squeezed glorg, or perhaps sputlinks. And wait until you see the portkins, they are as bigas  a flornop."
"Uh, am I he only one afraid of big portkins?" Beast Boy asked.
"You're getting married?" I still wasn't over this.
"Uh, yeah," Raven chipped in, "Anyone we know?"
"Oh, I have never met him," Starfire replied and the shock was back, "My betrothed has been chosen for me by the grand ruler of Tamaran."
"You're getting married. And to someone you've never met?" I asked.
"Of course Robin," Okay maybe I shouldn't have been so upfront she sounded upset again now, "It is the way of my people."
"But Starfire-"
I didn't finish my sentence as a blast knocked the ship and I looked back out front to see enemy ships coming in. Instantly I turned to focus on the present issue, I had other time to ponder over whatever the hell was going on with this wedding.
"I don't suppose this is some sort of crazy Tamaranian welcoming committee?" Cyborg asked.
"Whoever they are," Raven got in before Star replied, "They've got us outnumbered ten to one."
"Not for long," I replied, "Titan's separate."
My controls began to alter as the vessel split into five parts, now each in full control of our own compartments, and I immediately started firing. The smaller ship was easier to manoeuvre as well, the shots that were all hitting before now missed. I quickly had one down, just the second of mine to go.
"I begin to suspect that separation was not such a wise idea," Starfire's voice through the line made me jump and I missed a hit that came at me, knocking the ship off line.
"Starfire's right," I agreed, I'd taken out one, but we needed better firepower, not evasive skill, "Titan's regroup."
And thankfully the ships chased as we came together and didn't have time to avoid each other as we all went up and assembled whilst they crashed.
"Who were they?" I asked.
"And where are we?" Beast Boy added on.
"The planet Tamaran," Starfire replied, "My home. Is it not the most beautiful place your eyes have ever observed?"
There was no reply. All we could really see was barren land and rocks. Maybe we were missing something? I mean, the actual buildings in the rock looked nice, but was that it? Was that all her planet had? 
We brought the ship down onto one of the landing pads and, after I had placed a small chip on the base of my throat to allow me to breath seeming the others could just adapt, stepped out onto the new planet. The first people to greet us, it would seem, were the ones standing in that doorway. And I gotta be honest, I was a tiny bit intimidated when this person looked to be about ten feet tall.
Star flew up to him, the rest of us keeping our distance. We knew he must be friendly, didn't stop the fear. And then he started shouting in what I'm assuming was Tameranian. And Star shouted back.
I was ready to leap in at a moments notice when he started raising his fists and she screamed, the others it appeared were ready too, but it was a false alarm as she burst into laughter and he started tickling her.
"Uh, unless they tickle people to death here I think you can chill," Cyborg commented.
"Friends," Star said after she had composed herself and turned to us, "I wish you to meet my kinorfka, Galfore," Whatever a kinorfka was, but it seemed they got along just fine. And that would be good enough for me. As long as he didn't arrange this whole marriage thing, "He raised me from the time I was very small."
I looked at BB as he burst into laughter, probably not a wise choice but what else can we expect of him, "You mean this dude's your nanny?"
Yep, bad choice. The rest of us cleared the area as Galfore advanced on Beast Boy, "You find that amusing, little one?" And even BB had the sense to shut up.
"Nice to meet you," I said as we moved back over to our class clown.
"Zal," He returned and looked over at the ship, "I see you have met our new enemy."
"Then you know who attacked us?" I asked, trying not to worry to much as one of the thrusters fell off.
"The great Drenthax army," He said and indicated a group of the ships all parked right next door, who's bad planning was that? "They threaten to overthrow our planet, our way of life and if I were grand ruler I would-well I am not," And judging by that sudden emotional change, that's not a good thing is it? "Let us just say that much has changed since you departed."
"I have missed you, Galfore," Starfire said as she flew over to him and he went down onto his knee,
"And I have missed you, Princess Starfire."
Hold up, rewind a second. Princess Starfire?!?
"Princess?" The others all chorused, seems they had managed to find their voice before I could.
"Oh yes, I am second in line for the throne, perhaps I forgot to mention," Great time to turn sheepish Star.
"Did you know about this?" Cyborg asked as the Tamarians headed inside.
"Just go," I ground out and they did.
I followed a moment later, this was going to be a bad trip.
"Alien animals, cool," Beast Boy commented as he approached what I'm going to assume to be a guard dog, which did it's duty much to my amusement.
"You're the alien here," Raven told him after he had stopped running.
"Look, Starfire," I moved over to her placing a hand on her shoulder, "About this wedding-"
I didn't finish my sentence as Galfore leapt at me and the guards all turned against me, suddenly I was on the receiving end of their axes.
"It is forbidden for outworlders to touch the princess," He said.
"Um, please do not harm my friend," Star asked as she appeared over his shoulder, neither of us taking our eyes from the other.
He stayed a second longer before they all sheathed their weapons again and headed away from me, and she went with them.
"I'm not touching her," Beast Boy chimed, would have been amusing to poke at him for that one at any other time.
We followed behind, well behind, to what I'm going to assume was the dining hall where massive chalices were placed on the table, and took our designated seats.
"To our beautiful princess, and her new husband," Galfore called out as he raised his.
"And to my good friends," Starfire continued as she picked up hers, I didn't even bother trying to lift it when I looked down the line and saw the others all struggling, "I am jubilant you all could be here to celebrate my wedding."
I let a small smile onto my face when she hit her chalice into mine for the toast a smile gracing hers as well as she saw me fail to lift it.
"We're really going to miss you," I said after she sat back down and for a moment she looked sad too.
And then something was placed in front me, something that looked like dead fish.
"Please, eat," She said as I looked further down the table and saw it all like that.
And then it got worse as they all jumped onto the table and started devouring it like rabid dogs. At least I know why she had no table manners when she first came down.
"I'm guessing you picked up your table manners on Earth," I quipped and she turned towards me.
"Hurry or you will not get any," She said and instantly turned back to the food.
I'm not sure that's such a bad thing Star.
After we, or more accurately they,  had finished eating  it was time for my ears to be tortured as they played what looked like alien bagpipes, "Uh, it is music," Starfire added helpfully after she saw the rest of us.
Everyone went down to one knee, even Star. After a quick look at the rest of the team we all followed suit.
"All hail the grand ruler of Tamaran," Galfore called out, "The empress."
"Blackfire?" I looked up as Starfire said her sisters name, and sure enough, she was stood right there.
"Surprised to see me little sister?" She called.
"I am surprised to see you out of prison," Star called back.
"Oh that," Was the reply, "Well after you had me thrown in jail, I got bored. So I broke out and took over Tamaran for kicks. But enough about me, I'm sure your eager to see who you'll be spending the rest of your life with," And she indicated at some man behind her.
Some really well built, heavily muscled, long haired good looking sexy man (no homo but I'd be happy to spend the rest of my life with him). And then he moved out of the way to indicate another person behind him. Well, person wasn't really the right word. He was a blob of green gloop with an elephant face and tentacles all over his body was sat in a floating disk.
"Starfire, meet your groom," Blackfire smirked, "Glyrdsklechhh."
Now I was just angry. Hella angry.
"Um, he's cute," Raven tried to lighten the mood.
Fail, mood not lightened. Mood will never be lightened.
"My groom?" Starfire asked at last, "But he is... I cannot-"
"You can and you will," Blackfire cut her off, "You see sister dear, this darling creature is the exalted sklerch of the swamp moons of Drenthax four. And since his invasion army is parked outside our castle I arranged your marriage to save our beloved Tamaran from annihilation. If your groom can't kiss his bride we can all kiss Tamaran goodbye."
"I am sure we will be very happy together," Starfire said as Glyrdsklechhh came to be beside her and let out an almighty burp.
"He says he can't wait to take you to his swamp planet far far away," Blackfire said, so apparently that was how he talks, "We celebrate my sisters wedding at moonset. Tonight."
The crowd seemed to be loving it more than any of us were.
"Tonight?" I asked, "Starfire, are you sure?"
"Yes," She didn't even turn to look at me. She was lying not only to us, but to herself.
"Take the princess to her quarters so she may prepare," Blackfire ordered and Starfire was escorted off, "And keep an eye on her friends."
And with that she was gone too. Something wasn't right here. And I had to find out what.