Chapter 9

"What?" he questions, looking at me in confusion. I suck in a deep breath. Should I tell him of my advantage in the tournament?
    "Our first task is dragons."

     We touch back down to the ground, Harry not saying a word to me still in shock. He had turned his body back around to control Buckbeak's landing, and I had resumed my original riding form by screaming and taking hold of his waist. When we touchdown the whole class erupted in claps, and many got in line for their turn. Hagrid came over, lifting me up and off of Buckbeak, before sitting Madaline on her back, who looked a lot braver than I had been riding. She smiled at me before grabbing the feathers on Buckbeak's back behind Harry. I looked at Harry, whose eyes were locked with mine, before he looked back and set Buckbeak for take off. Silently I made my way to Cedric, who gave me a fist bump.
    "Your take off was amazing! Definitely not going to forget how high your voice can go," he jokes, handing me my books I had left behind. I take them into my arms, carefully slipping them into my bookbag.
    "Geez Olly, you look like you've seen a ghost!" Draco says, coming over to me and Cedric. Cedric turns his back to Draco and begins to talk with other Hufflepuffs.
    "Um, ya something like that," I reply, trying to walk past him. He grabs my shoulder.
    "Olly. whats up?" he sneers, the words echoing out of his mouth. "Did Potter say something up there? I'll kill him!"
    "Draco relax! Harry did nothing," I say, as Buckbeak lands with Harry and Madaline. Instead of him flying Buckbeak back down, Madaline had obtained the flyers seat, steering Buckbeak's landing. Madaline hops off as Harry helps Hermione on Buckbeak. Draco turns, putting his hand around Madeleine's shoulder. She smiles at me.
    "Long time no see Olive!" she says smiling. "You must be so nervous for the first task tomorrow!"
I nod.
    "Although father and I aren't happy with your placing in blasted Hufflepuff, you can still honor your father in the tournament. Win it," Draco demands. I nod again, and Cedric comes over taking my arm, dragging me up the hill.
    "Come on," he says. "Lets go to Defence Against the Dark Arts."

     I arrive at Professor Moody's class early with Cedric, still shocked from the events during Care of Magical Creatures. Why had Harry kissed me? He hates my father, shouldn't he hate me too? Was he just trying to get information out of me?
     My train of thoughts are broken as Harry and Hermione scurry into the room, just as the bell strikes. They both look at me for a moment before sitting down in their seats. I look down at my parchment, and Cedric sits beside me, out of breath from his argument with Millie Macmillan over what fertilizer was most efficient with growing Shrivilfig.
    "Take your seats! Students will not talk unless called upon. Don't think you aren't being watched and pay attention. Mr. Finagan find a better place to put your chewing gum than the bottom of your desk!" Moody screeches, bounding through the room.
    "Now to start today's lesson, which one of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" Moody says, turning to the class.
    "Three sir," Hermione states, her voice loud and clear. "They are so named because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them-"
    "Will land you a one way trip to Azkaban." Moody interrupts. "Today we will be focusing on only one of those curses. The Imperious curse."
He takes out his wand, grasping it tightly.
    "Can anyone tell me the use of the Imperious curse?" he asks. This time Hermione looks down, and no one answers.
    "Mrs. Riddle? Can you tell me the use?" he asks, turning the attention to me. I take a swallow, my mouth now dry.
    "The Imperious curse, when cast successfully, places the victim completely under the caster's control, though a person with exceptional strength of will could resist it,"
    "Very good Riddle, Ten points to Hufflepuff. Today we will be testing your mental and physical strength. Get into groups of two," He says. Almost immediately people begin scurrying around to find partners. Ron, completely ignoring Hermione's request to come over with Harry and her, comes to my table, putting his book down.
    "Partners?" he asks casually. He looks over at Harry, who frowns and looks away. I smile at him, taking my wand in hand.
    "Sure!"

     Professor Moody positions all the students in two lines, each facing their partners. The tables had all been moved to the sides of the rooms, and Moody paces back and forth in-between the lines. Ron faced me, his want in hand, and Hermione had settled herself right next to Ron, leaving Harry next to me. I kept my eyes down focused on the floors tiles, and luckily before Harry could open his mouth to say something Professor Moody began instructing.
    "I assume everyone here has heard of the Imperious curse by now. it was at the peak of its use during the Dark Times, by You Know Who."
     Several people look at me, throwing dirty sneers and gazes.
    "Today you will be using the very same curse, against your partner. The right lane will cast first, and instruct their partner to stand on 1 foot, then place a head on their head. While they cast the curse, left and you'll be attempting to restrain yourselves from doing the list of commands. If anyone in this classroom tends to give their partner not their list of commands other than once I was instructed, you will get detention for the week, and will not attend the first task. Is that clear?"
    "Yes professor," echoed around the classroom.
     "Right then. Wands up! And... cast!"