Pre-Prologue (Seven years ago...)

A NightWing was flying in the Claws of the Clouds mountain range. His dark scales blended into the black sky. He'd been ignoring the rain that had been falling from the sky, but now it had gotten stronger, and he had no choice but to take shelter in one of the mountain caves.

He shook out his wet black wings. He loved flying at night. Nighttime was the time when he could listen to the quiet. Nighttime was the time when he could breathe in the moonlight and feel it dancing on his scales. He could soar and spin and do anything he wanted. There were no old dragons endlessly lecturing him about his foolishness. He was free.

"OW!" somebody yelped. The NightWing whirled around, shocked. He had not known that there was another dragon in this cave. "Why would you do that? Don't you know how cold raindrops are?" A blue-green dragon stepped into the moonlight. She was a SeaWing, with beautiful, bright blue eyes. All her luminescent scales were lit up with a pale blue light.

"What are you doing here?" the NightWing asked. "Don't SeaWings belong in the Kingdom of the Sea? Or in Sanctuary? Or in Possibility? It's just that SeaWings don't usually live in the mountains..." He fell silent under her stern gaze.

"I just needed to escape from dragons and royalty for a while," she said with a shrug. "My aunt is driving me crazy. She keeps saying that I do everything wrong, that I am by no means fit to be queen! She is RUDE." 

The NightWing raised his brows. "You're related to royalty?" he asked curiously. The SeaWing lifted her head and put on a haughty face. "Yes," she said. "I am Queen Conch's niece, Seashell, a descendant of Prince Turtle. And you?" "I'm a descendant of Whiteout," the NightWing said. "My name is Skytoucher. I am an animus." 

"You're a descendant of the daughter of an IceWing prince. So you're technically royalty, too." Seashell said. Skytoucher dug his claws into the rock floor of the cave. Seashell was the most beautiful sight he'd ever seen. She made him see his position in life from a whole different perspective. She was ten million times more interesting than all the other dragons in Skytoucher's life, and he hardly even knew her.

"Here. Take this," he said. He picked up a rock lying on the ground and thought: I enchant this rock to turn into a beautiful carving of a dolphin. Seashell gasped as the rock made itself into a graceful dolphin. "Just for you," Skytoucher said with a smile. Seashell took the dolphin, her eyes shining. "Thank you," she said. "I also enchant that rock so that so long as it is intact, Seashell of the SeaWings will always be safe, no matter the danger," he added hastily. Seashell carefully set the dolphin on the ground and hugged him. He felt his heart explode, and right then and there he resolved: I will be with this dragon forever and ever and ever.