chapter sixteen

thank you to 1800-sluggy  for the visual!

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

WARNING: Be advised that this chapter contains graphic descriptions of death, mentions of multiple deaths, torture, mutilation, and implied animal death

The key was heavy around her neck, as if something was weighing her down as she flew through the blackened trees, Invisibility Cloak covering her figure. On her side, Tom Riddle was standing incredibly close, so much so that he had wrapped an arm around her waist so that they could both fit underneath. It stung against her skin, fingers grasping the dense material of her tunic as they arrived at the gate.

It was more majestic up close, with iron bent in intricate patterns, showcasing illustrations of Devil worship and demonic propaganda. Varya dissected it for a second, let her eyes trail every twist and turn of the engravings, knowing it could be the last time she ever saw them. Then, she pulled the key and stuffed it in the hole, turning it until a clicking sound was heard.

"Careful," mumbled Tom, his breath falling on the back of her head, hot and distracting, and then he extended his arm from behind her and held the gate open for them to pass through.

Their movements were sluggish, premeditated, as to not alert anyone of their entrance. As soon as the witch had stepped onto the blasphemous soil, she had felt it again—the faint hum of dark magic, so potent and alluring to those of scorched souls. It extended vastly throughout the perimeter of the school, and whatever grew in the gardens was blackened by the sorcery, with wicked stems, and poisonous fruits.

"Everyone will be locked inside their rooms at night," begun Varya as they headed to the main corridor, "We have always been prohibited from venturing around after twilight, for wicked creatures saunter around. We will be safe once we are inside the castle."

"What is your plan?" questioned Tom, voice uncharacteristically low as he glanced at her. Varya looked up, her breath hitching when she realized their height difference, and the way he was holding her almost to his chest.