Prologue

"She's better off staying dead."

That girl in the corner? They know she can hear them. Everyday. The jeers and laughs that throw her off, lead her one step closer to it all. And you know what? She almost thinks they're right.

"He's just a stupid, creepy emo."

That guy wearing black? They don't understand. No one does. Because if they did they'd know he was inches away from snapping. Inches that were slowly getting smaller.

"I heard he cheated on her."

That girl in the gym slamming the punching bag? She's not angry at him anymore. She's just trying to get rid of the pain. The jagged cuts that her broken heart left. But every whisper reopens the would.

"He made her cry..."

That guy that tried to avoid everyone? He's doing it for their safety. If they found out everything could go wrong. So he just hides, from it all.

"He's not getting better."

That guy who always seems to be on the verge of tears? He's sick. His life has been turned upside down and no one even cared. He didn't care. He'd just stopped carrying after a while.

"She's such an annoying, nosy, freak."

That girl who works for the newspaper? She's not nosy. The reporter thing is just a precaution. She just wants to make sure no one's going to stab her in the back again.

"He's such an attention hog!"

That playmaker for the basketball team? He's finding its harder and harder to think straight. He didn't want this. He never wanted it.

"I'm only friends with her because she's Tristan McLean's daughter."

That gorgeous girl with the ever smiling face? Yeah, she wants to punch them in the face. But who's to say acting isn't her family trait? Facades are her thing. She doesn't need friends. She's got enough fake ones already.

"Did you see the new guy? He's weird."

That guy standing outside the front office? The one no one knows the name of? Don't worry. You never will. He'll be gone be next week.

Who knew behind the rumors and lies that spun around Half Blood High there were people? Actual living people. People who could feel and hurt and hate.

Not that it mattered.

It was better to be a lie, than the truth. It was better to be something your not, than who you really are.

It was better to keep your mouth shut, than eat the bullet from the gun next to your head.

That way No One Got Hurt.