Chapter 7- Hazel

Hazel wished people would stop trying to save her.

It would be easier just to let her die one of these times.

She fingered get necklace the cold chain wrapped around her neck. How could she have just left that guy out there? She couldn't think straight. She couldn't focus. He stood up for her. Even no one else would and no one else cared.

Was he okay? Did he get hurt?

Was he even alive?

"Miss. Levesque!"

Hazel shot to attention dropping her necklace against her chest with a thud and scattering her papers across her desk accidentally.

The kids around her snickered. The teacher, an old lady who thought leather jackets were in style, silenced them with a glare.

"Thank you for joining us, Hazel." She said with a biting tone, "Now what's the answer to question 28?"

Hazel looked down, at her lap.

The kids snickered again. The whispers started. They always did. The foul words that tugged and picked at her like a sharp wind that never. Went. AWAY.

The teacher sighed and looked away, picking some other kid to torment. The girls behind her whispered and laughed quietly. Hazel's fingers curled together in her lap. She stared straight.

Don't think about it.

"Psst!"

Don't look at them. Don't listen...Don't....

"Pssst, Hazel!"

Don't look. Hazel come on, Don't do it...

"Hazel."

"What." Hazel glanced at the girl finally. She had red hair, and a sky look in her grey eyes. Her complexion was a made up facade of make up, trying to cover up a nasty snarl.

Nancy Bobfit grinned, though there was nothing pleasant about her in general, "I always heard the accident left you brain damaged. Now I know it's true."

The bell rang through the school, covering the laughter in a coating of escape from Mathematic Hell.

Pain almost immediately speared through her chest. Her breath hitched not noticeable unless you were listening for it. Hazel stared at the nothingness ahead of her.

"But, Nancy," another girl shouted, "It wasn't in her head! The bullet went through her heart, remember?!"

"Doesn't matter." Nancy laughed maliciously, "She's still a waste of air."

Hazel swallowed hard. Pain pricked behind her eyes. The anger that bubbled in her swelled until she thought she might burst.

Her book slammed to the ground. The noise echoed like a gunshot. So much like a gunshot.

Hazel! Duck!

It was just one night! How was I suppose to know?!

No! Don't leave Me!

Hazel!

Hazel swallowed, choking on her own spit. She took slow deep breathes, her entire body shaking. She knelt on the ground picking up her books, her papers were scattered and she folded them, crumpled them, and shove them into her bag.

The halls were filled with people talking, but all she heard was Nancy Bobfit's laughter. She felt sick. She felt alone. And cold.

She wished she take back that day. She could change his mind, a different place, any place. Tell her mom she was sorry. It was crazy. She was going crazy.